Hill Country ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill Country ride.

Due some sort of navigational anomaly, Kat and John ended up in Lakeway Texas instead of Fredericksburg Texas. About a 60 some mile miss so I guess its good Kat didn’t do any artillery spotting in the Army. Good for me cause its only thirty minutes from my house. Original plan was to ride thru the Hill Country in the Fredericksburg area. A quick check of incoming weather showed we would be riding into the rain so we went with plan B. Plan B was to ride 1431 to Marble Falls. About a 45 mile jaunt thru some prime Texas hill country. I had never run that route on a bike. Running it in my ¾ ton, 4x4 Dodge was never much fun but I knew it had twisties. We marched our way thru town and finally hit the two lane section of 1431. Most excellent ride. Full of high and low speed sweepers thru tree lined valleys. We got stuck behind some motor homes so I detoured off a side road to park and wait for the lumbering leviathans to get ahead of us some. Parked on a bridge over a crystal clear stream in a meadow area full of butterflies.
    John and I were not to impressed but Kat flited around in glee taking pictures. We hit the road again with nary a motorhome in sight and continued our ride with little regard for the posted speed limit. Fueled up in Marble Falls (you know how those Specials are) and decided to take the same route back instead of my previously intended return road. Hwy 71 was the original plan but it is a boring, 4 lane straight shot. Back down 1431, again ignoring posted speed limits and the no passing double yellow lines. Yea, I know. No passing when double yellow line but we weren’t about to cruise along at a leisurely 40mph behind some SUV that was hitting the brakes on every turn. Our trusty iron steeds gracefully whisked us past the offending vehicle with room to spare. Gotta love those, down 2 gears and nail it moments. Light rain hit about the time we hit civilization so we were forced to back it down to avoid any gravity demonstrations. Dropped Kat and John off at there Hotel and I motored on home but not before planting the seed of a get together next year for a ride with the TeXSive group. Who knows, might even make it to Fredericksburg this time.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Hey now

Everything turned out MUCH better this way. I'm calling it a win on the location. Especially with the weather turning the way it did.
    However, I wouldn't put me in charge of invasion dates. lol

As soon as Photobucket and I can come to some sort of mutual understanding, I'll post some pics.

And YES!!! Fredericksburg is definitely a destination point. We found some NICE roads... after the rain started clearing... and we were able to get out of the area we were trapped in due to flash flooding. Luckily, we were in the car for the REALLY rainy parts.

Thank you so much for Plan B!
    We had a truly great time!

Great write up too
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

On the ride with webbcraft:

Most of the rain held off until after the ride and it was AWESOME!

So, after Keoki left us, John and I decided to take the car to Enchanted Rock. LOTS of rain on the way down, the car was a good choice. By the time we'd driven the hour and a half south, the sky above Enchanted Rock began to clear and we could see blue. We got within 3 miles of the park, when we encountered this:

So, turn around, grab a few pics at the vista we had passed on the way:

We enjoyed the view and the weather for awhile and head back the way we had come in... unfortunately, in that short amount of time, this happened:

We enjoyed the view for another hour before the end of the road leading south opened. Fate was getting us to Fredericksburg one way or another. lol

Lots of curves on the road down. John was lamenting the fact we weren't on the bikes but he made the best of the supercharged engine in the car. It was fun.
      He he heee lol
      Definitely a must ride road next year

Not too many pics after this, but I did get this one in Fredericksburg:

I know John is very interested in checking this out next time.

Even with the rain, this was a GREAT trip!
      Looking forward to doing it all on two wheels next time and with a few more bikes.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Awesome pics. Definitely great riding in the Hill Country!

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
        X