Lone Star Rally - Galveston TX Nov 1-4 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Star Rally - Galveston TX Nov 1-4 2012

SWMBO and I are going to attend this Rally with some Gold Wing friends who have been going and telling us we should go with them. So I made a hotel reservation at the local Hampton Inn for Fri and Sat night. We will ride back to San Antonio on Sunday.

If any XSers are thinking of going, let me know here or by PM so we can arrange a little get together. I just looked at the website www.lonestarrally.com and it appears to be well attended each year. I do enjoy people watching and there will surely be a bike or two to appreciate (mine being one of them I hope).

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

I'll be there

I attend every year; and why not, I live near Houston. Lot's of people having a great time. Lot's of noise on the Strand. I've never been there after dark. After walking around for 4 hours or so, I'm ready for the ride home. I always buy the over priced T-shirts and drink a few beers.

A group photo of XS11 riders would be a hoot. The biggest problem is traffic and parking. I always park near a very tall radio tower at the corner of Market and 27th street. It's nothing special, just an easy place to park.

We could meet on Pier 21 and 21st street near the water in the afternoon for a group photo. No bikes allowed, but it's a good place to tag-up. Or, we could just coordinate using cell phones and text messages. I can find a shady spot and send out messages.

See ya in November.
    '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
    '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
    Stan Hutchison

Comment

I may be able to make this one! Lemme check things at work and I will get back to ya. I assume your leaving friday? How much were the rooms?
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Leaving Friday...dunno what time exactly havent thought that far ahead lol...

I used hotel reward points so not sure... My friends are staying at a different hotel...Lisa and I are at Hampton Inn there is only one I think.

6431 Central City Boulevard, Galveston TX

Gonna stay fri and sat night and head back Sunday.

Could stop in on Richard (rpgoerlich) in Katy either coming or going if he will be around.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

I would like to go depending on when I can get back to my bike. My current ride wont fit on the road. She's pretty big. You will find her next to the giant sulfur mounds off port industrial rd a few days every week. And besides, she only has about 12k horsepower. I would feel awkward showing up with such a small engine when other ships her size are around 20 to 30. However, she does carry molten sulfur pretty well.

I am not sure when we go to the shipyard but If I am off the ship by then, I will try. If anyone see's the Sulfur Enterprise in town, give a shout. If I am not on duty, lets grab some frosty beverages.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Lone Star Rally - Friday update

So I left the house at 0650 this morning to head over to my Goldwing buddy's house. James and Tracey were going to lead me to the rally point for some of their friends they went to the Lone Star Rally with last year with.

Bad morning traffic meant a 45 min drive across town to the house we were leaving from.....5 of 9 bikes were there with one off topping his tank. A few calls later (and 30 min) everyone had arrived. 2 Goldwings, 6 Harleys and 1 XS11. One of the late Harleys had forgotten to put his battery tender on the night before and couldn't start his bike....but promptly(?) at 0830 we headed out f town.

Once past the clutches of traffic in town on I-10, we could really open up! For two whole miles with me in 8 position until I saw #9 fall back in my mirror and pull off the freeway as we continued along at a steady 65 mph (according to MY speedo "we were only going 65 Officer").

I took this as an opportunity to finally crack the dust off the throttle plates and sped up next to #7 who came with #9 and let him know his frend dropped back (he was a half mile behind me when I noticed him so I get a pass for not pulling off with him, heck I was not even sure of his name). One of the two men had a wife in a truck following so I was not too concerned.

I sped up more (to over 75mph LOL) to reach the leader and let him know our string of ponies was dwindling using one handed monkey sign language.

Exiting to a truck stop we all sat and wondered what was going on till a woman (always a woman) gets the idea to call the wife in the truck for an update. (My wife was in a truck following, but more like an hour behind since she did not relish waking as early as I nor does she enjoy multi-hundred mile motorcycle rides.)

Bad battery!! One rider smacks his head and says he has a brand new battery on a charger at home and will put on a cape and save the day. I said lets the rest of us go on to our planned Buccees stop in Luling and wait where at least we can snack. So we are off again. Attrition means I am now #3 position behind two Goldwings. ( this was perfect - more revealed later)

Sitting at the next stop another hour we finally learned the savior battery did not last very long....that group of 3 was detouring to the nearest HD Dealer in Greune. We lit out determined to make up time.

Too many DPS...everytime my speedo came close to 65 there was another (and 65 on mine was close to a ticket already! Speed limit was only 75.) so slow going. No rain though, only fog. Tons of bikers we passed and passed us (mostly on trailers) headed to Galveston.

Lunch stop in Sealy, Lisa my wife caught us and ate...good pit BBQ...once in Houston more traffic and more traffic, but moving at least. Finally got to Gaveston about 1530. (it was only a 300 mile trip!) But the Harleys were pedaling as fast as they could I wound up in #6 position...NOT perfect as now I was subjected to loud Harley exhaust tones the rest of the way instead of virtually silent Goldwings.

WOW there are a ton of bikes here....chrome glinting in the sunlight, candied paint sparkling, skin everywhere much of it inked. A Rally you know.

Got checked into hotel and drove the seawall blvd....parked and people watched, browsed vendors and went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. for dinner. Tasty.

Bret Michaels concert after was epic and I think I inhaled as much as the guy holding the roach next to me before the night was over even if I never touched it. The air was rich with it.

Made it back to the hotel to relax and share. Nice day. Nice ride even with traffic. Come on out!!

John

Comment

I hope you and all have a great time. I trust you will get some good pictures.

Earl H
              80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
              and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Here are some pics...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1069077...012GalvestonTX

Sorry the ladies that were flashing for beads did not hold the pose long enough to get the pic.

Got some ideas for next build though. Its always nice to get a bunch of bikers together. Got alot of thumbs up for a vintage bike even if many had no idea what it was at the time. It also helped that Texas beat Texas Tech on Saturday

John

Comment

Working...
                X