No announcement yet.

2010 MoM work list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This would be the bolt your looking for. Both my bikes have it.

Look on the bright side, if you hadn't removed the axle you wouldn't have found the loose pinch bolt.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

• You know, that loose pinch bolt could be part of yur wobble issue as well!!

On my 81 Specials, if you want to pull the caliper off without removing the entire bracket as suggested, you also have to remove the phillips screw that holds the pads and the caliper together. It is accessed from the FD side of the rear wheel and can be a royal PITA to get loose. Use lots of PB Blaster before you even begin to try.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

• Did I forget to mention....

I'm changing the pads while I'm doing all of this. I believe that means I have to take the axle out anyway, no?

Anyway, done's done, nuttin' to do now but finish the job.
        1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
        2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

• Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
          I'm changing the pads while I'm doing all of this. I believe that means I have to take the axle out anyway, no?

-no-

Pads come out without removing the axle.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

• Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
            As stated, NOPE! If you pull the caliper off as shown already, after pulling the phillips screw mentioned, then the pads slide right off the bracket to the front and rear like some cars you may have worked on. No need to pull the axle or that bracket off.

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
            Truer words wer never spoken. And as a bonus, you found that loose pinch bolt which is a VERY good thing!!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

• Wishing all you MOM'ers an XS-ively fun and safe time!

Comment

• Looks like a weekend of rain, how many people are going to cancel?
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

• Never back down!!!!!
                  Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                  1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
                  XJ maxim rear air shocks
                  KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                  Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                  BLACKED OUT

Comment

• Wish I was coming rain and all...

It's just not working out for me this time. Love to meet you guys in person! Soon...

John in San Antonio
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• All y'all rock!

Thanks everyone for helping get my bike back to good riding. It was nice and smooth all the way to 10 miles before my exit. I think my rear alignment came out again, but I'll worry about that after I get the cramps worked out of my hands. Next time I decide to burn a tank in one sitting, I'm getting a throttle lock.

John or Kat,
                      I think I left my box of parts on the floor by the toolbox. I wouldn't care so much but it's got $75 worth of carb rebuild kits. Could you PM me and let me know if it still there please?

Thanks again, I"m gonna go rest.

Comment

• I'll bet you need to dry off too.

I'm back at Mikes in Gainsville right now and it rained all the way here.

I'm glad your bike is running good still, you'll get the wobble figured out.

I'm glad to have met you and that I could help.

Comment

• Thanks especially to you Greg, otherwise my bike would still be sitting in my parking lot with no rear master cylinder.

Yeah, it was a pretty wet ride, but I'd picked up a coleman rainsuit for $30 at walmart that kept everything by the bottom of my pants dry.

Time for a good long nap.

Comment

• Ain't no thang........

If you need anything just ask, I'm only an 1 1/2 hours away...........I have no problem saying NO!..........LOL

I'll just remember to bring some tools.

Comment

• Thanks to everyone for a great time. I haven't enjoyed playing in the rain this much since I was about 5 years old! It rained till I got to Tulsa, then it was just dry and cold for the next 10 hours home. I was almost totally dry by the time I got to St. Louis.

The beer can around my exhaust leak disintegrated by the time I got to Oklahoma, but the pipe clamps meant I could at least strap an allen wrench in there to keep the pipes alligned. I'll get that properly welded some time this week.

Thanks again, and I hope we can do this again next year!!
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X