Bob Jones Rally 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Jones Rally 2010?

I recently became the proud owner of a Bob Jones 1100SF and would love the chance to talk to other owners about their bikes and about Bob, I never got the chance to meet him. Any plans for another rally?

SR500E Black
    XS750SF Carmine Red
    XS1100SF Mustang Red Metalic
    (Bob worked on this one)

Congrats on your purchase. Its probably one PRISTINE bike.

I guess its not really rally season right now but I would like to know if there will be one also.
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

The Bob Jones rally is kind of up in the air. We were having a good turn-out, and it was so nice getting to see Bob's wife Karla, but when you get a bunch of riders, you invariably get some of them that aren't very skilled on either the types of roads we ride there, or aren't good with riding in a group. Those roads aren't for the new or mostly flatland rider, and many of us saw too many crash courses in learning last year. The roads there are for the advanced rider.. some of the best in the country for twisties.. and it's absolutely no time for amateur hour.

Some weren't confident in their skills and would slow to a crawl around curves, then gun it in the straights to catch back up. The pace is always much slower with a group, but many can't even ride at that pace, so the people stuck behind them don't have a good time. Most of us are there to put a little wear on the sides of our tires, so if you're stuck behind someone who doesn't go much over the posted speed limit for a loaded semi.. it can get frustrating.. especially if the person slowing people up won't let others by.

Then, as we saw in the last Bob Jones rally, we had someone riding past their skill level trying to keep up. Luckily, they were ok, but the bike didn't survive, and it put an end to the rally since we had to go get a trailer to load the bike up and such.

So, what you essentially have, is people feeling pressured into riding faster than they should. We try to explain to people that we aren't going to lose them. If they feel the pace is too fast, drop back, let those by that want to, and at the next turn or stop, they will catch up. I guess it's pride that keeps them from doing this.. I don't know. What I do know, is that those of us that do put on the rallies.. are really tired of picking that pride up off the ground in the aftermath. We've all spent a lot of money and usualy time off work to do these and have some fun riding. Playing wrecker and medic isn't our idea of a good time.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I agree. I am not keen on scraping people I know off the pavement. I love the ride, the commraderie and the BSing at the end of the day. But if you can't handle the road, I'd much rather you back off and take it easy so you're there at the end of the day to swap lies with everyone.

I am still deciding wether I even want to try rallies again. Especially in complex roads, that aren't your typical poker run type of riding. I saw three people loose it this year, and it is a sickening experience, even if they get up and ride away. I just don't want to see that again.

So, please, to anyone who does attend these rallies, be honest with your self, and if you are not up to it physically or mentally, just wait it out. There will be plenty of time in the future to ride when you are better prepared.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Fully understand the thoughts here, and with the more recent event and such, it would be very tough to make that call. And I will also add that since I have no idea what the roads are like your talking about (never been there) how would I know if they are beyond my skills? Until I try something like it, how do I know what type of road is beyond my skills? How do I know how hard/fast you are planning to go, and if that is beyond my skills? Just another angle on the situation.

Having been on a ride where I was behind a rider that needed to go MUCH slower through the only real section of twisties it was less than ideal for sure. But I would hate to have missed the chance to meet that person or the opportunity to have enjoyed that day with the folks that came.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

It's easy, your riding skills are what you are used to, or comfortable, riding. If you ride straight all the time then you probably are not used to leaning/turning, etc... Don't think that just because you have been riding for years you can do anything, everyone has their limits, mine is fear.

Having been on a ride where I was behind a rider that needed to go MUCH slower through the only real section of twisties it was less than ideal for sure.
            And that is exactly what Tod is saying, if you know that your skill level might not be the greatest or you feel that you are holding up other riders, then politely let the other riders pass and move back to the other riders in your comfort zone. I do it and don't have a problem with being 4th place. Nobody needs to bring big egos and think they are the best, we are just having fun and want everyone to be safe.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
              It's easy, your riding skills are what you are used to, or comfortable, riding. If you ride straight all the time then you probably are not used to leaning/turning, etc... Don't think that just because you have been riding for years you can do anything, everyone has their limits, mine is fear.

I understand Jeremy, my point was that for me personally, I rode for about 5 years about 20 years ago. Been back in the saddle maybe a year, but I am pretty decent on a bike and can handle some curves and hills. I ride on hilly curvy roads all the time because I live in the hills of the Ohio River Valley. i can hardly leave home without hitting them. This general area is called Western Hills. However, I have no idea what is out there in Oklahoma or where the ride happens. Maybe what I call curvy hills is staight flatland by comparison.

I take 40 MPH turns at 50 or maybe 60 (or maybe 30-20 if it looks like there could be gravel in the road)...I have read things that would lead me to believe Tod may consider that to slow and leave me in the dust, maybe that puts me in the group that can't run with the big dogs, Maybe that puts me in Ametuer Hour. I also take such turns ALOT slower if I do not know what is around the bend, puts you at a disadvantage over those that have made the run before.

What I was getting at is it seems out of place to tell folks to stay home if they aren't used to the riding conditions, if they do not know the riding conditions. That is all. Maybe I am reading more into it than what was there.

By the same token, it is a hopefully once in a lifetime experience to go through the loss of a fellow rider and friend in front of you while riding, especially at a ralley. I certainly understand the desire to do all you can to avoid that happening again, or even the crashes that I read about at some other rallies by the various XS groups. Riding is a dangerous sport for sure, alot more so than fishing . And we do need to be aware of our limitations, at a rally, or on our own. Fear can be a good thing
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

We are not saying stay at home, just ride in your comfort level. Up front we typically double the turns or more, there is is usually a big gap between us and the middle which is probably more your area. Or you could just take the scenic ride with Kat in the back. We don't descriminate!
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

The roads in Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma can be challenging. There are also alot of challenges when riding in a large group. The pace at the rallies I have been to has been rather sedate. A few might play a little in the front of the pack but that is usually just in short spurts. We have gotten people of all skill levels on these rides. We have all been new and/or inexperienced at one time. As most of you know we had 2 accidents on rallies in this area last year, one of them fatal.

The goal is for everyone to enjoy the ride and have no one exceed their abilities or comfort level.

Here are a couple observations.

1. If there is a large gap developing in front of you and bikes bunching up behind you, you are causing a problem. This does not mean you are doing anything wrong but it does mean that you need to let people pass you on the straights. Get over and wave them past when it is safe to do so. This is a much better situation than you riding beyond your abilities to try and catch up or everyone bunched up too close together behind you. NO ONE WILL THINK LESS OF YOU FOR IT. An experienced rider who knows the route is always designated to ride sweep. You won't end up left behind or lost. Also, if this is you, at the next gas stop please don't jump back into the front of the pack and make everyone pass you again. I don't know that Steve was exceeding his riding abilities but I am pretty sure he was exceeding the abilities of the big goldwing he was riding. At the stop just prior to his accident he said he was dragging his pipes and other metal bits on alot of the sharper corners. He was pushing the bike too hard to keep up instead of slowing down a little bit. He was extremely lucky to not get seriously injured. The goldwing was not so lucky.

2. If you insist on pulling a trailer on the ride and are all over the road with it, once again please accommodate those who want by. Yes your bike still has plenty of acceleration when you go full throttle on every straight to try and catch up to the pack. What you need to understand is that your bike does not handle as well pulling a trailer and therefore you are taking the corners much slower than those behind you are anticipating.

3. Try to ensure that you and your bike are up for the ride and conditions. Especially brakes and tires. These roads are challenging enough. If you show up sporting the original tires that came with the bike you are just asking for trouble. If you have been sick as a dog and are only able to function by taking massive amounts of medication, once again, you are asking for trouble. This may have been a contributing factor in Trainzz fatal crash. No one will ever know for sure. I really liked Lee and was glad to meet up with him again and ride with him again. He almost didn't make the trip due to how sick he had been. I wish he had decided that he wasn't up to the ride.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

All good advice, ride within your abilities and nobody gets hurt. Be considerate and nobody gets pissed. It's all common sense. Besides, XS11's we're designed to go straight, heck, they where designed 30 years ago. Getting too crazy in the twisties is asking for trouble anyway, if you want to go knee draggin' do it on roads you know and in smaller groups on bikes designed for knee draggin'. There's a reason you don't see NASCAR cars entered in formula one races.
                    "Do the right thing, even if nobody's looking"

SR500E Black
                    XS750SF Carmine Red
                    (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

Originally posted by Mstaab View Post
                      All good advice, ride within your abilities and nobody gets hurt. Be considerate and nobody gets pissed. It's all common sense. Besides, XS11's we're designed to go straight, heck, they where designed 30 years ago. Getting too crazy in the twisties is asking for trouble anyway, if you want to go knee draggin' do it on roads you know and in smaller groups on bikes designed for knee draggin'. There's a reason you don't see NASCAR cars entered in formula one races.
                      Are you serious? The XS11 will corner with the best. The only limitation is metal parts that start getting in the way when you lean over. A race prep R1 it isn't, but made to go in a straight line? I think not.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yeah, I was serious. I guess we will just have to disagree on that point.

SR500E Black
                        XS750SF Carmine Red
                        (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

By the way Ivan, I am a Kansas boy myself. Born in Hays and grew up in Manhattan. That's where I bought my first bike, a XS750SF back in 1980.
                          Please tell me you're not a KU fan!

SR500E Black
                          XS750SF Carmine Red
                          (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

I have to agree with Ivan here. A properly set up XS1100 has absolutely no problem in the twisties. I know that mine handles very well and will easily scrape the pegs and still feel like it could do more. Scrubbed the rear tire sidewall to sidewall. The setup of the shocks (front and rear) made a huge difference. It used to feel like I had to force the bike around the corners. Once I hit that sweet spot it was like night and day.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Besides, XS11's we're designed to go straight

Hmmm... I've embarrassed quite a few people on modern bikes that thought the same thing. It seems to be quite the opposite for me. They smoke me on the straights... but I'll suck 'em up in the twisties.

And if you do a little homework.. it was the best ALL AROUND designed bike at the time.. not just straights. That's why they have all the magazine pics where you can completely see the belly of the beast, because they have it leaned over so far in the curves.

Everyone has an opinion, but I dare say that you have blamed YOUR cornering disabilities on the bike.

As for this statement about riding at rallies...

It's all common sense.
                              What's the saying? "It seems common sense ain't so common..." lol.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own