Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home again

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
    Well I just got Bob's head back on the bike and hopefully will be firing up tomorrow

and... hopefully I will have my windshield before the 8.5 hour trip I have
    I am home 13 hrs and a little different route.
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Nice going Brent. We (Steve, Stan, Dell) left at 7:00 AM, and pulled into the driveway at 5:38 PM; 442 miles. It rained about 80 miles riding through Texas; just hard enough to get you good and wet. We stopped at DQ for lunch and got a nice chill.

My XJ ran terrible; I'm conviced the right muffler is blocked. I saw some blueing on the chrome that wasn' there when we left Oklahoma.

Glad you're safe.
      '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
      Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
      '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
      Stan Hutchison

Comment

• Brent, Steve, Stan, Dell...

It was great to meet all of you, and thanks for letting us know you made it back safe.

Glad you made it, Brent. I was concerned. That was a really long ride by yourself.

Take care, and ride safe.

Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
          I'm home and Kat and John should be home at an second. I just can't forget what happened...........
          Glad you made it home safe Jeremy. I know what you mean, can't stop thinking about it.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• may i suggest that we change the run name
            1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

• Back Home

I made it home Monday night 7:00 PM . Put 1200 mile total on the XS. Sunday, when we left, I started to ride the parkway ,but only got 4 miles and ran into thick fog or clouds, so I turned around and ran the north route to 270, and ran it to Hot Springs AR. I spent the night in Hot Springs and ran some roads there till it started to rain about 3:00 PM so I decided to go home from there because the weather man said it was going to rain Monday night and Tuesday . I ran out of the rain at Little Rock and had a dry ride home. Tuesday it rain hard here all day. The only problem with the bike is the left petcock started leaking and floods the carb went you stop, and fuel runs out the air filter. Going to have to rebuild it .Glad to hear everyone else made it home safe, this is a weekend we will not never forget. My sincere regards to Lee's Family.

Richard Blalock
              Richard
              1981 XS1100H Full dressed Standard
              1979 Honda 400 Hawk
              1991 BMW RT100
              Southaven Ms.
              XS Riders Are A Rare Breed
              Harley Riders Are A Dime A Dozen

Comment

• Glad you made it home Richard, but your problem is a float vlave, not necessarilly the petcocks. If the bike is running, your petcocks should be moving fuel. Your float valves are what controls the volume of flow. If they aren't seating, (Or you have a float sinking) they'll flow too much. Only way to find out if your petcocks are a problem is with it shut off and checked for leaks.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• leaking petcock

I may have a float problem too but I know I have a petcock problem because when I took off the tank fuel flow nonstop from the left petcock with no way to shut it off. I drained the tank to keep fuel from draining into the engine.The 81 model petcock do not have an off ...only prime--on--reserve
                  Richard
                  1979 Honda 400 Hawk
                  1991 BMW RT100
                  Southaven Ms.

Comment

• So.. you do have a petcock problem, but your float valves should be stopping it where it can't get into the motor. If the float valves were good, a leaky petcock wouldn't matter.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

• So far the extra gas has been coming out the air filter.I was told it could be bad if it ran the other way into the cylinder. Thats why I drained the tank.It runs fine once you get it running, {Carb flood if park it for more than 30 min} Takes a little extra cranking to get it started but I got 34mpg on the trip which is about what I always get. Will get a petcock rebuild kit and will start from there.
                      Richard
                      1979 Honda 400 Hawk
                      1991 BMW RT100
                      Southaven Ms.

Comment

• LOL.. If your float valves were working, it wouldn't matter if you have bad petcocks. If you simply fix your petcocks, you're going to have the same problems at idle. But.. it's your bike and I guess this is the wrong place to be talking about this.. lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

• Hey, Tod...

I witnessed firsthand what Richard's describing.
                          When Bohn and the rest of us went up to the lodge that afternoon for lunch, Richard had parked the bike and shutoff the petcocks. When we came back out, gas was everywhere. Took a while to restart, but did, and ran ok after that.

He has to have both problems... bad petcock, and leaking floatvalves.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I understand that, and apparently am not getting the point across that fixing the petcocks isn't going to fix the problem. It will fix it for when it's parked, but not while running. But if you fix the float valves first, it won't matter if the petcocks leak or not. Sure, it's something you'll need to address at some point probably to be safe, but only addressing them (The petcocks) isn't going to fix the problem, or be the least expensive.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

• Yep, totally agree...
                              He needs to fix both.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I agree with Tod as well. The petcock only controls if fuel is flowing into the fuel line feeding the carb and the T system letting fuel flow to two of the carbs inlets in the float bowl. Once fuel gets to the float bowl, then the float valve system controls the fuel flow into the bowl with the float level determining how high in the bowl the fuel gets.

If you have a leaking petcock, and properly working float valves, the only time you would really know it is when you pull the tank.

If your float valve is leaking, then anytime you let fuel flow to the carbs from the petcock, you will get the fuel overflowing into the air box if you have one and or the engine. The fact you continue to have fuel issues with the bike off and it appears to be a standard, indicates bad petcock seals AND bad float valve(s). Petcocks just let fuel out of the tank, the float needle valves let it into the carbs.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X