Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Jones Memorial Ride 2009

Hi everyone.

A couple of us (Russ79 and I) have decided to do an annual ride in honor of Bob Jones, who passed away in December of 2007. He was a great champion of these bikes and spent 30 years of his life talking and writing about, fixing, modifying, and most importantly.. riding them, along with over 40 years in the motorcycle business. The rally will be in Arkansas again where his favorite roads to ride were.

Last year's ride, we held a small memorial service for him and spread some of his ashes off of an overlook. Hopefully this year will be a little easier on his wife Karla, who is also planning on attending again.

There was a great turnout of bikes last year, and hope to see you all again. Everyone is invited no matter what you ride. If you didn't know Bob Jones, that's OK. Just come see why this was his favorite area to ride. Lots of hills, tight twisties, sweeping curves and overlooks, and hardly any traffic after we get off the main roads.

Last year we started the rally from Harrison, AR. Harrison is VERY limited on hotels. So this year, we have decided to start the rally in Eureka Springs, AR. It's a really nice, biker friendly town set up in the hills amongst the pine trees, and it has GOBS of cheap clean hotels. Last time I looked, there was something like 77 hotels listed for this little town.

We are trying to decide on a weekend in May and are shooting for the weekend of the 9th or the 16th, and would like everyone's input on it that plans on going. That would put a month in between this rally and the Meeting of the Minds get together in Texas, so SWMBO won't get mad at you being gone all the time!

At some point before this rally, we are also going to have a very informal get-together to go rip up these roads and try to find a good route for the rally. It will be tough to beat last years route... but hey.. it's as good an excuse as any to go ride isn't it? This pre-ride will be short notice though.. probably a week or less notice. It will depend on the weather forcast, and we're waiting for a weekend that will be above 60 degrees. Everyone/anyone welcome on this also and help give your input on the route.

So, pick a weekend in May. We won't be able to make everyone happy, so it has to be a majority rules thing. I think Russ is wanting to spearhead the rally this year, but he wasn't sure how to start this thread. Bob was a good friend and mentor to him. We sure hope to see everyone there.

Tod
    May 8-10
    44.44%
    May 15-17
    22.22%
    Either one suits me fine.
    33.33%
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

I am planning on attending.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I'm going to try and make it...

Hopefully, John will feel up to it...

If not... I'll need a babysitter so Dad won't worry so much...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I thought that you were our "babysitter".
        Harry

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well... yeah... but

that's while we're there...

I think he feels better about me having someone with me on the way and on the way back... something about speed control or something... I don't know...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Oh yeah.. because the person you rode up with before is such a law abiding citizen..

As for you, Harry. I'll just take that as a blanket statement to mean that you will be there for both rides! (Just aim for Russ' other bag this time.. )

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Oh yeah.. because the person you rode up with before is such a law abiding citizen..
              As I recall... Bob was the only one pulled over on that trip... so as long as he doesn't lead... I guess we're good...

(Just aim for Russ' other bag this time.. )
              So he can have a matching set?

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by TRBIG
                Last year we started the rally from Harrison, AR. Harrison is VERY limited on hotels.
                Not to mention that Harrison is in a dry county.

I hope to be there. I already have committed to the Illinois rally on the weekend of May 16 so it will depend on how the vote comes out.

Originally posted by TRBIG
                so SWMBO won't get mad at you being gone all the time!
                That's not going to help. If they vote to have it the weekend of May 9, I hope to go from this rally to the Illinois rally and make it a 12 day trip.

Originally posted by Wildkat
                As I recall... Bob was the only one pulled over on that trip... so as long as he doesn't lead... I guess we're good...
                Was I pulled over that that rally too?

Bob
                #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                '97 V-Max
                '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Bob was the only one pulled over on that trip...

Hmmm.. as I recall, it was Bob that was the trouble maker, and ME that got pulled over! lol.

Bob, if it turns out that you can't make the rally.. maybe you can come down for the pre-rally rally.

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Sorry Bob... I was referring to the trip that I followed Tod on which would be the Talihina trip... and from what he just wrote... apparently it makes you both troublemakers...

Of course... I guess you could have been pulled over during the Bob Jones run too... I just didn't hear about it...

Who's leading this rally anyway? I can't afford anymore speeding tickets...

lol
                    81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

As for you, Harry. I'll just take that as a blanket statement to mean that you will be there for both rides!
                      Yes it does. In fact I got permission from the boss (SWMBO) to make plans for this ride, MOM2009, and Talihina 2009. We were discussing trailering the bike on one of these so she could come with me. She would like the ride, just doesn't want to make the long ride to and from. Since I have never straddled the backseat, I will have to take her word for it that it isn't very comfy on the backside.

Hmmm.. as I recall, it was Bob that was the trouble maker, and ME that got pulled over! lol.
                      But at least you distracted the cop for the rest of us.
                      Last edited by Bigfoot; 01-17-2009, 02:27 PM.
                      Harry

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                        But at least you distracted the cop for the rest of us.
                        Yeah, I'd had hated to have to show him some skin to get out of a ticket.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I voted that the date didn't matter but I would like to change my mind and vote for the earlier date for 2 reasons. That would allow Bob join us, and would put the pre-rally ride my birthday (giving us yet another reason to crack open a bottle).
                          Harry

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

(giving us yet another reason to crack open a bottle).
                            Yeah.. because we have so hard a time finding reasons to do that!

I agree. I would really love for Bob to be able to attend this. What you usually get is people saying they are coming, vote a preference, then cancel. If it's on the earlier date, I know Bob will be there. And if Bob shows up, Harry won't have to buy all the beer this time!

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Oh yeah.. because the person you rode up with before is such a law abiding citizen.. (Just aim for Russ' other bag this time.. )
                              Don't be talkin' smack about my buddy Dave!

Comment

Working...
                              X