• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Island "Deuce" Rally - August 1-7, 2002

Big Island "Deuce" Rally
    Ladysmith, Vancouver Island
    British Columbia, Canada
    August 1-7? (Thursday - Wednesday?) 2002

Lotsa room for tenting, two bedrooms and a hottub. Some neat rides, with a two day extension up to Whistler, Lilloet, Cache Creek, Princeton and Hope.

I will try to better last time's events! If anyone wants to fly in, there is an extra XS11 here to ride!

Rally updates on a speculation basis as we progress! Everybody's welcome...it should be a blast!!

Big Island "Deuce" discussion can be found on the
    XS11Big Island 2002 list at Yahoogroups. If you don't yet have a Yahoo account (free) you'll have to register to join the group.

Tentative Itinerary
    February 19, 2002 update
    Sid Clarke

Gruppe: Idenum, subject to change, eh!

August 1: Get together, tent spots, (Denny and Glenna already have "big" bed room), steak dinner, (2 for one, @ 10.00 Canadian $), at the pub, easy ride home.("canned" music, with Bare Naked ladies!, (just a Canadian group, you silly,eh!)

August 2.: (Fri) The "infamous" Johnny Yukon run, but no "blow jobs", on fuel tanks! Gas up in Sooke, (no gas out there), "major twisties", at a conservative pace,(Mary's riding with us!!!!!), Incredible Fish and chip or ? lunch at Renfrew, with side trip to "incredible ocean"site, if you are not hungry, regroup, twisties back, fuel up in Sooke, out through Mechosin, onto Island Hwy, home to sids. Salmon and "other" BBQ et al! Brews, tub, chairs, brews, snacks, tub, snacks, chairs, brews, ...ooooh what the Hell!

August 3: Early morning coffee and buns, on the road by 6:00 AM, B-fast at Courtenay, (90 minutes on the "slab"), up the "new" slab to Campbell River,(take Tom V as a hostage!!!), out to Gold river, and Muchalet sound, lunch, back to Campbell River, depending on time, "slow" way or "fast" way home, (maybe break into pods?) Salmon, and Chicken BBQ, hot tub, "suds", "Z's"!

August 4: Early morning "buns", and ? 6:00 AM leave, "kewl" ride to Pt Alberni, "slow" ride to "crossing" at Lakes end, then "balls to the walls", through the pass to the junction! (your discretion!!) Art museum, pub tour, 1 hour "overstay", leave, stop at Long beach, walk in the surf, go to Whale museum, ridr quick, but not "stoooopid", back to Port Alberni. Gas up, over the pass, hit Island H-way, home to Restaurant supper?

August 5: Either pack your tent up, or stay, as a group, catch BC ferry to Horseshoe bay, (7:00AM), Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, over the pass, (oooooohhhh), to Lilloette, lunch?, over the next twisty pass to Cache Creek, Beer time, or?, Twenty KM East to the Phil Murphy/C Hook "found" campsite, and????? (dinner back at Cache, or?). Sleep over, (no tent, do Cache Creek @ motels there.

August 6: Leave river site @ 8:00, (your in the mountains, it is cold next to the river, and there is no sun yet!!!) Ride to Kamloops, East to Vernon cut off, Vernon, south to Kelowna, Penticton, (all will prolly be in the 90's F), LUNCH, by the lake, or? South through "Hot temps", to Osoyoos, (those who need to "split" for home here can). West through the Richter pass to Keremeous, to Princeton, (fuel and suds or food stop), Totalride through the mountains, over the pass to Hope, and the freeway to the Ferry back to Home, or as a final "breakaway", to our friends to the South! (Go back through truck customs at any crossing, faster!!)

August 7: "left -overs" ride to Campbell River, ferry to Quadra Island, and Cortez Island, lunch and home, eh? Ahwubuyaahdubyuwwah, thats all folks! SQUID! (program subject to change by "informed" input. Thanks for your patience, and time!!

Thanks,

Sid Clarke
    sclarke@nisa.net

See the Big Island 2000 rally page for more information on Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, and British Columbia.

XSpected XSives

Sid Clarke............Ladysmith........BC
    Mike Hart.............Seattle..........WA
    Doug Heinen...........Federal Way......WA
    Courtney Hook.........Nanaimo..........BC
    Lawrence Hotz.........Sunny............CA
    Don Hughes............Edmonton.........AB
    Herb Johnson..........Sherwood Park....AB
    Louise Johnson........Sherwood Park....AB
    Paul Johnson..........Cincinnati.......OH
    Patrick Kelly.........Modesto..........CA
    Dean Koehler..........Portland.........OR
    Ron Lyman.............Mississauga......ON
    Dennis McLaughlin.....Courtenay........BC
    Jim Middlestadt.......Albany...........OR
    Carolyne Mulvaine.....Port Angeles.....WA
    Keith Straayer........Port Angeles.....WA
    Phil Murphy...........Nanaimo..........BC
    Jason Raley...........Tacoma...........WA
    Scott 'Shu' Schumaker..................DE
    Renate Schumaker.......................DE
    Ken Talbot............Revelstoke.......BC
    Sheila Tiernan........Revelstoke.......BC
    Norm Willey...........Crofton..........BC
    Mark Van Winkle.......Spokane..........WA
    Tom Varga.............Campbell River...BC
    Jeff "Wags" Wagener...Bothell..........WA
    Chuck Wildman.........Scotts Valley....CA
    Johnny Yukon..........Seattle..........WA
    Denny Zander..........Olympia..........WA
    Last edited by Mike Hart; 07-17-2002, 08:26 PM.
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Add to the expected list: Scott "Shu" and Renate Shumaker from Germany.

Shu will be riding my XJ11, Renate riding Shu's brother's XJ750. We are heading out from my place on the morning of 7/31 to catch the Tsawwassen/Duke Point BC Ferry at 10:15, 12:45, or 3:15, will narrow down that time frame later.

Mike / Seattle
    82 XJ
    99 Bandit
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Im back from out of town and trying to get the rewire of the ignition done in time to head up for at least the weekend version of Deuce...
      Leaving from work friday evening if i can get the ferry (Twasssen) in the evening, be there and have to return Sunday for work Monday...

Still hoping to get there.

Jeff "Wags"
      Bothell, WA
      jeff "Wags"
      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
      79sf rusty
      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

The Busted Knuckle Garage

The proprietor is hosting us again in Ladysmith! Thanks Sid and Mary!!!!

Stay tuned for maps of the various planned rides...
        Last edited by Mike Hart; 07-09-2002, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Friday Night ride up- routes and times?

Just wondering what would be the best plan,

I'd be leaving Bothell about 7 depending on work.

which ferry would be best, and the best route to get there before everyone is snoozin...

or maybe make it for the breakfast stop Sat morning, (early start from home...)

and the return route the island to I 5, to be home sunday night.?

any input?
          jeff "Wags"
          Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
          79sf rusty

Comment

Just curious. Do I need to get Canadian money or os US currency accepted there? If I need to exchance currency, where do I do that?
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Colored Money

Pat, US $ is accepted almost everywhere.

Credit cards work the best though.

You might go to a large bank branch to exchange some US for
              Canadian if you want to save a little, since most merchants in
              Canada will bang you a little on the exchange rate.

Like if rate is .65 US = 1.00 Canadian, they may do it as .70
              or .75 to make it easier to make change and make a little.

Comment

Thanks for the info. on money.

Just got done re-lowering the needles in my carbs, bike runs perfect now. Got the fairing back on and will be trying my new brace I made for it (so it won't bounce as much). If the brace works then the it's new spark plugs then the fairing lowers go back on. This will leave three weeks to get all the 'stuff' ready (tools, clothes, etc.).
                Tomorrows ride will be 200 miles of slab with the wife on back, should be a good test....
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

border crossing info for Yanks

Yanks:

Going to Canada is pretty easy. Well, unless you have DUI's or
                  drug or felony convictions on record. Or, you try to take a G*n.

Getting back INTO the US is another story - be prepared to spend
                  way more time than necessary getting back in if you don't have
                  a certified (like notarized) birth certificate, or a passport. You'll
                  probably be okay, but birth cert / passport speeds things up
                  considerably.

Take off your sunglasses, turn off your motor, don't pack g*ns or
                  ammo, or large amounts of cash (send those to me, I'll bring em
                  for you).

click here for a little more info

There are some good deals at the duty free stores, but you need
                  to research a bit. I'll see if I can get Johnny Yukon to post
                  regarding this bit, for you smokers, drinkers, and wearers of
                  scents.

Comment

Re: border crossing info for Yanks

Mike Hart wrote:

Getting back INTO the US is another story - be prepared to spend way more time than necessary getting back in if you don't have a certified (like notarized) birth certificate, or a passport. You'll probably be okay, but birth cert / passport speeds things up considerably.
                    Not having a birth certificate or passport handy, I was concerned about all that for XS East 2002, but it wasn't a problem. From Maine, we crossed into Canada to take the Trans Can. No problem.

Crossing into New York was slow because of traffic, but we just answered a few questions and were waved through. I think Tina's military ID (Air National Guard) helped.

Day trip to the observation tower in Canada; no sweat either way.

Crossing into Canada on the way home, they stopped Jon (Tina's son) and took him inside for a 10 minute chat. I think his nose ring had something to do with that!

Our final crossing back into the US was the most tedious. They decided to search my bike, but got tired of digging through dirty laundry!

As Mike said... lift your visor, take off the sunglasses and turn off the engine. Oh... and Be Nice!

Bill
                    Bill K.
                    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Crossing Canada from Port Huron to Alexandria Bay and back was a snap. (Okay, I was in a car) But all I showed them was my driver's license and I'm pretty sure I didn't even take off my sunglasses.

Where do you live?
                      Where are you going?
                      How long will you be in Canada?
                      What's the purpose of this visit?
                      What do you do for a living?
                      Thank you sir, move along.

Comment

Re: Friday Night ride up- routes and times?

Jeff, if you go via Tsawwassen to Duke Pt, it will put about 2.5
                        hours of riding in the pre-ferry and only 20 minutes to Sid's
                        after you disembark.

Check the links in the 3 Ferries thread. Any chance you can
                        leave a bit earlier? If so, you could catch the 8:15 sailing and
                        be at Sid's by 10pm or so. Next sailing is 10:45, and you're not
                        to Sid's til almost 1am.

Originally posted by Jdwags
                        Just wondering what would be the best plan,

I'd be leaving Bothell about 7 depending on work.

which ferry would be best, and the best route to get there before everyone is snoozin...

or maybe make it for the breakfast stop Sat morning, (early start from home...)

and the return route the island to I 5, to be home sunday night.?

any input?
                        Last edited by Mike Hart; 07-08-2002, 10:12 AM.

Comment

To Deuce or not to Deuce....

Mike,

I hope to get off a bit early, but we have new supervisors,, (the normal shifting of command), and we gotta get em trained to the real world...

Doubt I will get out of here much earlier than 6:30 from home, which is "on the way" from work anyway...

It might be a late one, or maybe an early morning rondevous, for breakfast if it works out that way,... one way or another I'm gonna make this one

(even if i have to pull the seats and ride the scoot in the van..lol)

In any case the twassen (sp) ferry looks like the best alternative for me, whenever I arrive up there.
                          jeff "Wags"
                          Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                          79sf rusty

Comment

Re: border crossing info for Yanks

Originally posted by Mike Hart
                            Yanks:

There are some good deals at the duty free stores, but you need
                            to research a bit. I'll see if I can get Johnny Yukon to post
                            regarding this bit, for you smokers, drinkers, and wearers of
                            scents.

There are great deals on Hard Liquor. If I recall correctly
                            most of it is atleast 50% off normal Washington State
                            Liquor prices. Beer is available, but there's more bang for the
                            buck with the harder variety! You only get to choose 1 liquor item per person and must stay over 24 hours in Canada.
                            Cigarettes, Cologne, everything for sale there that is taxed in the State is also much cheaper.

Your American Dollar also goes along way in Canada.
                            Every Dollar is worth nearly 1.50 there right now. So go ahead and bring a pile of cash and walk away with a 300k Dollar house for only 200K
                            Johnny Yukon

79SF "Black Magic'
                            97 B-12 "BlueBayou"

Comment

Want to put some faces with names?

I just posted an edited version of Denny Zander's report of
                              NW2K in the Ride Report forum, I added pix and comments
                              to his email report.

I'm working on editing and adding pix to Sid's report of BI2K
                              as well, might be a couple days, but look for it, it will give you
                              some idea of what Vancouver Island is like, if you're coming
                              for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X