Spring Opener Rally in Portland - March 30, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Opener Rally in Portland - March 30, 2008

Hey all you NW'ers - just a heads up on a group ride coming up in March, here in Portland, OR. I have done this ride for several years and always have a good time and I am usually the only XS11! It would be fun to join up with anyone else from the forum so let me know if you can make it - rain or shine!

Here is some copy from the Flying 15 Motorcycle Club (sponsor and organizer):

RALLY INFORMATION
    The Flying 15 Motorcycle Club welcomes you to the 12th Annual Spring Opener Rally on Sunday, March 30th, 2008. Once again we will be starting off at Kelly’s Olympian located at 425 SW Washington St. in Portland. Three blocks of free parking will be reserved for rally participants so motorcycle parking is never a problem. Registration starts at 10:00am, but come early for hot coffee and breakfast specials. Ride starts at 11:00am with the last bike out at 12:00. Registration fee is a $10 donation and will include a poker run card, ride map, event pin and free pass to the after party. Additional poker hands can be purchased for $5 each. The first 100 to register will be entered to win a $500 prize package. As usual, all makes and models are welcome to this and all FFMC events.

RIDE INFORMATION
    This years rally features a ride with more than 400 turns over 80 miles through breath taking landscape. The Flying 15 Spring Opener Rally is growing into one of the best season openers in the Northwest with a great lineup of live music, giveaways, raffle prizes, a 50/50 drawing, rally awards and MORE PRIZES than ever. As always, there will be a top prize for the best and worst poker hands. Poker Rules are aces high and nothing wild. First poker card chosen at Kelly's Olympian and the next three cards at designated stops. Each stop is open for exactly 2 hours with the fifth and final stop at Mt. Tabor Theater at 3:00pm. This is one motorcycle event you won't want to miss so make your plans today!

AFTER PARTY
    Beginning 3:00pm at Mt. Tabor Theater located at 4811 SE Hawthorne, Portland, OR. (503) 238-1646. Join us after the ride for live bands, rally awards, a 50/50 drawing and raffle & door prizes. After party is free to all rally participants or a $10 admission per person at the door for non riders. The first 100 people through the door will receive a free FFMC 12th Annual Spring Opener ride pin. T-shirts and ride patches will also be available the day of rally. Come join us for a great day of riding.

Summer's coming!!
    Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    2012 BMW F800R
    1981 Suzuki GS450E
    1982 Honda XL500R

Sounds like a fun event. I will definitely put this on my calender.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hope you can make it Denny. I would be happy to host an after-ride BBQ/beers at my place if interested. I am sure we will be in touch as the day draws near!

See ya -
      Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
      2002 Ducati ST4S
      2012 BMW F800R
      1981 Suzuki GS450E
      1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

A lot will depend on how Vyger is doing by then. I have her down for winter upgrades and maintenance. No big-bore kit this year, but some other interesting changes (if they work out).

I need to go though the carbs. and a few parts need to have the powder coat redone. I want her in top shape for the run in August.

If all goes well, I should be ready for a test ride about to time of the event.

The BBQ & Beer sounds like a plan. I think Meri is interested making the trip also.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Jeremy,

Is this event a family (ie kid) friendly event?
          I was thinking about taking one of my kids down for the ride.

Dave
          Dave
          1978 XS1100E
          Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Hey Dave - You could absolutely bring along a young one on this ride. I have seen several younger "co-pilots" in years past, no problem. It seems that most of the "poker run" stops tend to be at places that serve beer (bars) but it is not mandatory to participate in the poker run activities and usually the stops are in a town with a lot of options for bathroom breaks and snacks. As far as stopping by my place afterwards with your family, feel free!

Hope to see you -
            Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
            2002 Ducati ST4S
            2012 BMW F800R
            1981 Suzuki GS450E
            1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

I think I can make it. Are you planning to send a reminder before the event?

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I am not planning to send out a reminder, however, I can post something to this thread a few days before if that helps you remember. I have it on my calendar to make sure I don't forget. As the time draws near, I might set up a specific meeting place downtown so that we can meet and ride together. We'll see what the weather does and how many people commit as the time draws nearer.

See ya'll
                Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
                2002 Ducati ST4S
                2012 BMW F800R
                1981 Suzuki GS450E
                1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

That would be great.

I'll tell you up front, if the weather is crappy, I'm staying home. I don't ride in the rain anymore if I can avoid it.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I'll be there IF the weather permits a decent ride - I'm 5 hours north in Port Angeles, WA - you ever want some GREAT scenic riding come here - Hot tub for after and BBQ
                    82' XJ1100J
                    86' Kawasaki 900 eliminator
                    81' XS 400
                    73' 125 yamaha dirt
                    66' Honda CT200 CT90

Comment

I found this forum and this thread and I'm glad I did.
                      My Dad and I ride a '79 XS11 Special in great condition up here in the Olympia area.
                      I'm in the process of getting my '75 RD350B up and going for this season (same bike Dad used to take me out on as a kid).
                      If all goes well I'm hoping I can talk dear old Dad into joining up on this event with me.

Comment

Flying 15

Hey Jeremy I'll be going down Sat night and doin this thing so we gotta hook pal.. Talk to ya soon
                        J

Comment

It appears there maybe a few of us heading down, weather permitting.
                          I live in the Tacoma area and plan on riding down starting about 7:00 - 7:30 am Sunday morning.
                          Anyone want to meet up at the Denny's restaraunt in Lakewood? It is at the Bridgeport exit off of I-5 so easy to meet there and get back on the highway.

According to the goggle maps it is about a 2 hour ride from that location to the event start location.
                          Dave
                          1978 XS1100E
                          Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Hey Jason, when you heading down on Saturday? Meri and I are planning to head down on Saturday also.

The only thing that would keep us from going is if the weather is absolutely terrible. A little rain, no problem.
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

sounds good Denny's is an easy find - anyone cming from BC thru Port Angeles we can ride together.
                              82' XJ1100J
                              86' Kawasaki 900 eliminator
                              81' XS 400
                              73' 125 yamaha dirt
                              66' Honda CT200 CT90

Comment

Working...
                              X