No announcement yet.

XSEast 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrived home at 1:30. Waved off Keith and Earl on I-81 exit 300 ad noon. What a great weekend. More to come.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220529_190205.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	868914
      Keith

BMW K1600GTL-E
      Honda GL1800
      -Suzuki GV1400
      -Kawasaki KZ1300
      -Yamaha Xs1100
      -Honda CX500
      -Kawasaki KZ440
      -Honda XL350, SL100, Trail70

Comment

Another great rally with good friends, good roads and great food
        Keith

BMW K1600GTL-E
        Honda GL1800
        -Suzuki GV1400
        -Kawasaki KZ1300
        -Yamaha Xs1100
        -Honda CX500
        -Kawasaki KZ440
        -Honda XL350, SL100, Trail70

Comment

I have removed the web page for this rally. As with previous years, if anyone wants a copy let me know. Looks like it was a good time.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Left Elkins and went to a graduation in Pennsylvania
            . Got home today about 130. Good times!
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

It was great to see everyone again. Hope to see you next year!

Comment

Originally posted by mastan View Post
                It was great to see everyone again. Hope to see you next year!
                Was there any discussions regarding 2023?
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

congrats to the crew, looks like a good time was had by all, hoping theres a 2023 n.e. rally, I will keep the ol 1100 ready for it. THis year got tied up with the new house. Mike in San Diego and Meadville

Comment

XSEast 2023, Earl made a good argument to return to Elkins. I was pushing for Davis WV, but after seeing the traffic while riding through there Monday, I like the idea of return to Elkins.
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                      XSEast 2023, Earl made a good argument to return to Elkins. I was pushing for Davis WV, but after seeing the traffic while riding through there Monday, I like the idea of return to Elkins.
                      More great routes available in that neighborhood.
                      Lots of good rides all over WV.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

There is a chance I might join XS-East next year if our new home construction is going well.

This year I was in the same area a week earlier for a Honda V4 Rally. We stayed in Staunton Virginia, maybe about 80 miles south.

My brother-in-law and I enjoyed three rides in particular

* 250/28/33 loop - features some dragon-esque stretches..and we checked out Seneca Rocks while we were in the neighborhood
                        * Skyline Parkway in Shenandoah National Park
                        * Blue Ridge Parkway - We liked it better than Skyline

Gald you had a good rally this year, it's on my bucket list to join sometime in the future.

-Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          I have removed the web page for this rally. As with previous years, if anyone wants a copy let me know. Looks like it was a good time.
                          Jerry, thanks for your help!! Always appreciated!
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

I always say I’ll do a ride report but I rarely do. This week I made the effort. It’s been a week since XSEast, that weekend goes fast.

Monday - 23 May. I was summoned to Jury Duty at the Fairfax City Courthouse. A long line of spectators were waiting for the Depp-Heard trial. As Juror 36, I was not selected so that was off my plate. I get a call from the Elkins Motor Lodge asking if I still want my reservations. “I haven’t been able to reach you by phone.” They answer, “We know, we had phone problems.” I sez, “”You can cancel them.”

Thursday - 26 May. Both Dwayne and Earl were riding out that day to take advantage of the good weather. My wife picked up the t-shirts. I began loading the bike. We were going to get wet as a major storm front was passing through Friday. Keith called asking if I’d want to overnight in Strasburg, but I declined. My son, the F-18 pilot, was taking me to see Top Gun Maverick. I highly recommend it.

Friday - 27 May. Donned my rain gear and headed out west on I-66. Rain began about 20 miles east of I-81. While Keith agreed to meet at the Strasburg Shell at 1000, I thought he was staying at the Ramada. At the Shell, I picked the pump where all the water was running by. Topped off, I rode up to the Ramada, looking around for Keith’s BMW. I went in for a rest break. Back out I saw him waiting. Evidently he was on the other side of pump at the Shell.

We proceeded west on US-48 in the driving rain in a line behind 2 Harley’s with warning flashers blinking taking their good old time. Passing them, the rain slacked off 20 miles west of I-81. We turned off US-48 south on US-220 to Petersberg, then SR-28 to Seneca Falls where the sun finally broke out, then US-33 to Elkins. We stopped just short of US-250 across from the Elkins BP, $4.34 per gallon to find a lunch place. We settled on CJ Maggies, a good choice. Next stop, Super8. Unloaded some gear. Went next door to the Save A Lot and Family Dollar to pick up some beer and soda. Rain returned, then Dwayne and Earl returned in a soaked state, then Pete and Vickie arrived. We all got reacquainted, decided to dine across the street at the Steer Steakhouse, an all you can eat seafood buffet. I’d say this was one notch above cafeteria food. Back to Super8 for some libation then bed.

Saturday - 28 May.

Ready to ride, five bikes, 60% are XS11s. Kickstands up at 0920. Rain gear questionable. US-33 eastbound to Seneca Rocks is a superslab but necks down to 2 lanes for some sweeping turns. We arrived at Seneca Rocks for a look see then south on US-33/SR-28 to Judy’s Gap. Enroute we encountered a deer in the road, another in the bush on the far side. I beeped my horn prompting the one deer to climb the right side while on the left the other deer pushed through the bush.

At Brandywine we continued straight down CR-21 passing the Navy Information Operations Command Sugar Grove to encounter two slower Harley’s. Fortunately they stopped at the Sugar Grove Post Office. We turned left to continue on CR-21 but going straight on Moyers Gap Road that runs west to US-220 looks like an option for next time down.

In VA, CR-21 becomes VA-614, an unmarked country road, aptly named Cowpasture Rd. I wasn;t sure we were on the right road, but I watched our mileage as we should come up on US-250. There! We stopped to catch our breath, then headed west for some great curves, some at 20mph. Challenging and fun. Lunch at Hull’s Hideaway in Monterey at the inersections of US-250/US-220, providing plain, good and inexpensive fare. Some more good curves out of Monterey. The remainder, valley roads continuing on US-250 then US-219. A good, clean ride.
                            For dinner we opted for CJ Maggies which offered some pretty good chow. Somehow, dinner conversation got around to spouses in woodchippers and we weren’t even drinking heavily. Between Pete’s Grand Cherokee and Mark’s Miata we got there and back in good order. Now it was time to hit the beer and bourbon.

Sunday – 29 May.

Dwayne departed for Pittsburg first thing to attend a graduation around Pittsburg. We’re down to four bikes but 50% are XS11s.

Kickstands up at 0920. Sunday’s route had us back tracking Saturday’s on 219, 250 to SR-92 south to Green Bank. I came across another deer in the road that I had to motivate along with my horn. Along 250, I was following a sedan going at a decent clip. Coming up on a white truck, the sedan began to pass when the truck whipped across both lanes to block it. WTF? I noticed two hounds crossing the road ahead and then noticed the truck had a bunch of hounds in separate boxes in the back, all baying. The driver and his wife got out and, I guess, proceeded to track down their errant hounds.

We continued on to Exxon3 in Bartow which was closed. A Marathon station was back a couple of miles, so I recommended Pete go back to top off not realizing that there were three in Green Bank. SR-92 relatively straight with an interesting stop at the Green Bank Radio Telescopes. Very quiet there. Next, Cass Rd, SR-66, I remembered from when I went to Snowshoe. We took it slow, a fair amount of debris on the road, no guard rails, unmarked, and we got stuck behind a Lincoln poking along half way across. We passed two scenic railroads, Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad was steaming up getting ready to roll and the Cass Scenic Railroad.

SR-15 –THIS WAS THE BEST, freshly paved and marked. I was behind a jacked up white pickup that knew the area and was moving crisply. A good rabbit to follow. We stopped just shy of Webster Springs to fuel at K&M and collect Pete and Vickie. A bit of a search to locate Vickie’s in Webster for another good lunch. SR-20 wasn’t as exciting at SR-15 but proved a relaxing ride to Buckhannon. Except when a bug with long, scratchy legs flew into my helmet. There happened a pullout, so I could clear my helmet. I’m sure Earl, Pete and Vickie were wondering what’s going on. Then US-33, super slab back to Elkins.

Mark drove down in his Miata Saturday evening, after the picture was taken. He enjoyed driving SR-15 on Sunday but didn’t have a map or cell service. He thought himself lost and turned back on 15 just before Webster Springs.

Sunday dinner was at Smoke on the Water BBQ, several miles east of Elkins on US-33. A classic wooden structure with indoor/outdoor seating. Excellent BBQ and aluminum kegs for urinals.

The FJR has a blind spot right behind it for several car lengths. Pete and Vickie always took their time – at Buckhannon, just before the on ramp, I was waiting for them, leaning on my tank so I could look for them in the mirror. Finally, I noticed some movement, Vickie was dismounting. She asked “What are you doing?” They came up behind me and were there for about 5 minutes. I’ll have to get those longer mirrors!

We sat down in the pavilion behind the Super8 to kill off the remaining beer and bourbon. Three bottles over the weekend.

Discussing next year’s location I pitched Davis WV. Earl suggested a return to Elkins citing the Super8 is a decent hotel. Next door, a Save A Lot and Dollar Store for beer, soda and munchies. The Steer Steakhouse across the street was adequate. We found some excellent restaurants, Smoke on the Water BBQ, and CJ Maggies in town. And again, the locale is relatively close, at most 6 hours for some, 3 hours for me.

Monday - May 30.

Keith, Earl and I prepared for departure while waiting for the bourbon to burn off. We headed east on US-33, then at Harman took the left to SR-32 to Davis. In Canaan Valley, traffic picked up as this resort area is easily accessible from US-48. Maybe Davis is off the picks. US-48 is mostly superslab but necks down to two lanes just before Wardensville. We stopped there for gas and water, temps were in the 90s. We continued east to I-81, turned north at exit 296. I waved off Keith and Earl on I-81 exit 300 for I-66 at noon arriving home at 1330. Mileage Elkins-Vienna, 201 miles, 768 for the entire weekend.

I’d say SR-15, VA-614 and US-220 were the most challenging roads. I’d like to do them all again.
                            Darrell
                            78E
                            80G project
                            06FJR

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_085809.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	868989 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_125358.jpg
Views:	198