XSEast 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XSEast 2021

It’s that time of year to start planning for XSEast 2021. Three proposals.

Last year I was promoting Western NY south, southeast of Buffalo. Most of these roads are straight and rolling through pastoral WNY. Base out of Hamburg. One day go east-wet. Last summer I drove a road from Portageville at the south end of Letchworth SP west to Arcade then E Aurora. Not real exciting. One day go north-south. Going back to DC drove down NY-62 out of Hamburg to Conewango to Salamanca the 219, down to Kane and to visit Marty A. Someone’s brother-in-law must have the contract for 45 MPH signs because they’re everywhere. There’s a lot of tertiary roads that could make for an interesting ride but I won’t have an opportunity to drive them. So, I’m lukewarm on WNY.

Second option, east central PA bounded by 15 to 81, 78 to 86. I just recall when transiting on I-81, there seemed to be a lot of remote, mountain roads that could be interesting. I’m not smart on this area at all.

However, PA was nice because most of us we’re within 3-4 hours of home.

Finally, Marty sent me a number of routes he had for east Ohio. He's quite enthusiastic about this. This may be the most promising venue.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Option one .. no
    Option 2 .. yes, very good riding
    Option 3 .. yes, much much awesome curviness in SE Ohio. https://www.windy9.com/, https://www.windy9.com/routes
    If Covid situation is still much the same, I won't be at any of em.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Agree with Dean WNY..No...PA Yes and Ohio Yes ..Not sure if I'll make it..but i am interested...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Any location option for me would be fine. Although no dates proposed, I'll make every effort to attend, hopefully immunized by then.......

---Bax
        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          Agree with Dean WNY..No...PA Yes and Ohio Yes ..Not sure if I'll make it..but i am interested...
          Been a while since Ive seen youse guys..I like the sound of SE Ohio..That was a great rally back in 2012
          Last edited by madmax-im; 01-15-2021, 02:48 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
            Any location option for me would be fine. Although no dates proposed, I'll make every effort to attend, hopefully immunized by then.......

---Bax
            XSEast is always held on Memorial Day weekend...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

https://www.visitpa.com/article/8-fo...s-pennsylvania

Some food for thought

Cook forest state park is central to Clarion loop, Elk county loop and Punxy loop. There is plenty of lodging and cabins if you look at gateway lodge. Nice riding up that way.
              Last edited by 2WheelFun; 01-15-2021, 06:42 AM.
              1979 XS1100 Special
              1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
              1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post

XSEast is always held on Memorial Day weekend...
                Hmmmm, been watching the message traffic for almost 5 years, never made the connection......

---Bax
                80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                  https://www.visitpa.com/article/8-fo...s-pennsylvania

Some food for thought

Cook forest state park is central to Clarion loop, Elk county loop and Punxy loop. There is plenty of lodging and cabins if you look at gateway lodge. Nice riding up that way.
                  My backyard, sorta. We've had some good rally rides on some of those very roads! And that article misses some of the better roads in the area.

For twisty heaven SE OH gets you pretty close. And if possible don't forget across the Ohio River find Quinnet's Court restaurant in New Martinsville!.
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

a return visit to se ohio quinnets court rest. a visit to the ama musem.
                    yes
                    80 xs1100G

Comment

I’ve been working with Marty on the east Ohio routes. The plan is to use Caldwell OH as our jump off point. Depending how I go It’s about 350 miles by superslab from Vienna VA.
                      I’ve made reservations at the Caldwell OH Best Western under XS-East 2021, $65 per night. May 28-30. 740-732-7599. Cut off Apr 28. Not a real big town with mostly takeout. COVID may still preclude everything opening up.

Route wise, one day we can run west, the other day east to include lunch at Quinet’s in New Martinsville. I still have to firm up the routes with Marty. A quick scan of some on the roads on Google Maps reveal them to be interesting.

Unfortunately, the AMA Museum is 90 miles west in Columbus. I can’t work it in unless we want to take another day.

Darrell
                      78E
                      80G project
                      06FJR

Comment

Looks pretty good Darrell. There's a cool old historic scary looking prison in Moundsville that does tours.
                        Good motel price.
                        Last edited by DeanR; 02-03-2021, 07:50 PM.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

You mean "Athens Mental Hospital" or "Ridges Insane Asylum" in Athens?
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
                            You mean "Athens Mental Hospital" or "Ridges Insane Asylum" in Athens?
                            West Virginia Penitentiary, in Moundsville, just up from Powhatan Point, on the river.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/wes...-penitentiary/
                            https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...e-penitentiary
                            https://wvpentours.com/

How are you doing Marty?

Last edited by DeanR; 02-05-2021, 10:50 AM.
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post

West Virginia Penitentiary, in Moundsville, just up from Powhatan Point, on the river.
                              How are you doing Marty?
                              That one. I was thinking OH, forgot about that WV one. Same distance from Caldwell to either Athens or Moundsville.

I'm healthy, get better each week. I still need to have some of the arm muscles kick in, only weak use of right arm now, not enough to twist a throttle yet. Walking is getting better, up to 20 minutes most days, using a quad-cane, and still have to wake up some more leg muscles.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X