XSEast 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XSEast 2020

It’s that time of year to start planning for XSEast 2020. Two options. Western NY south, southeast of Buffalo, or central PA out of Williamsport. On the latter, EarlG sourced an article out of Rider magazine, https://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/02...-pennsylvania/

For central PA, Marty A has done some preliminary planning. The western route covers a good part of the same roads we hit a couple years ago when we had the XS East rally in Coudersport.

For WNY, I’ve plotted a two routes but lodging and dining options other than the Buffalo area are along interstate exits.

Let the discussion begin.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

XS East 2020

Just a minor clarification for the Central PA choice - some of the 1st day route covers some of the roads we did in 2016. The 2nd day route is all new.

If you vote for WNY that would be all new.

Let's hear some comments we need to make motel reservations soon.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

WNY will tempt me. 13 years since last visit. Getting the time will be the challenge. Erie County NY would make dull ride. Between Westfield and Dunkirk would be real pretty along route 5. Ferry over Chautauqua Lake and eats in Bemus Point! Barcelona has a smoked fish place on the lake that might be world's best. Warren County PA will yield nice rides as well. Do they still repair roads up there?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        WNY will tempt me. 13 years since last visit. Getting the time will be the challenge. Erie County NY would make dull ride. Between Westfield and Dunkirk would be real pretty along route 5. Ferry over Chautauqua Lake and eats in Bemus Point! Barcelona has a smoked fish place on the lake that might be world's best. Warren County PA will yield nice rides as well. Do they still repair roads up there?
        Hey Marty
        Would be great to ride some of your old home town roads with you.

Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
          It’s that time of year to start planning for XSEast 2020. Two options. Western NY south, southeast of Buffalo, or central PA out of Williamsport. On the latter, EarlG sourced an article out of Rider magazine, https://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/02...-pennsylvania/

For central PA, Marty A has done some preliminary planning. The western route covers a good part of the same roads we hit a couple years ago when we had the XS East rally in Coudersport.

For WNY, I’ve plotted a two routes but lodging and dining options other than the Buffalo area are along interstate exits.

Let the discussion begin.
          Hi Darrel,
          Both locations appeal to me. Earl's article has interesting routes.
          If jetmechmarty will come all the way from Mississippi I'll vote for western NY. Not sure about the smoked fish though

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'm interested in either one.

Brian
            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Linda & I would be ecstatic to attend either location !!!

Found a pic last night from '95 prepped to go on our first rally

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                On the latter, EarlG sourced an article out of Rider magazine, https://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/02...-pennsylvania/
                Scott Williams aka Bones, is well known to us ST folks. Always has good advice, with this being a pretty good article.
                Last edited by DeanR; 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

I'm interested, but it's 1,000 miles there and 1,000 miles back. Id' have to pull some strings. Not that I won't.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                    Scott Williams aka Bones, is well known to us ST folks. Always has good advice, with this being a pretty good article.
                    Bones is an excellent writer/rider..The area of PA he rode through and writes about based around Williamsport..has alot of great roads..little traffic...I recall a PA Grand Canyon STOC one year with the ST-Owners based in Wellsboro..a quaint New England style town..
                    I have heard there was an XSEast rally based in Wellsboro many moons ago..I have never done any XSEast rally there personally...
                    Western NY also has my interest..i guess a bike that could go the distance might be in order though....
                    Nice pics Marty...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Western NY

https://ridermagazine.com/2003/06/15...s-of-new-york/

I roughed out this guy's ride from 2003. He picked a few good roads, but his was only 100 miles long, so I added a few more stretches of roads to fill out a day. Too far away from Bemus Point for lunch, however.

The problem with WNY is nearly all the roads are in a grid pattern, much like Lord Simcoe's boringly safe grid pattern you see in the Toronto neighborhoods. In NY, you drive 2 miles, come to an intersection with 4 way stop, look towards the horizon and you can see the next intersection 2 miles straight ahead with another stop sign.

I'll keep trying to see if there are two days' of roads worthy of riding in WNY.

Anyone find any reports of decent riding in WNY send me a link.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
                        https://ridermagazine.com/2003/06/15...s-of-new-york/

I roughed out this guy's ride from 2003. He picked a few good roads.
                        I've been all over his roads Marty. OK riding if one finds oneself in this area, but nothin' special.

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
                        I'll keep trying to see if there are two days' of roads worthy of riding in WNY.
                        Good luck with that Marty.

I'll see if I can send ya something.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

Sounds like y'all are intent on a NY rally...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

As much as I'd like to get back to XS East, it isn't going to happen. Therefore, I won't be advocating for WNY any longer. I can think of many reasons to not go there in May (it might still be winter ). Wherever it is, I hope there's a good turnout.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              As much as I'd like to get back to XS East, it isn't going to happen. Therefore, I won't be advocating for WNY any longer. I can think of many reasons to not go there in May (it might still be winter ). Wherever it is, I hope there's a good turnout.
                              Maybe we'll do one in SEOH next year, that way it's just a day trip for you to get here...
                              ya old softie!
                              Marty in NW PA
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X