No announcement yet.

XSEast 2109

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a stalled Forum has contributed to the lack of interest in XSEast.
    I too will be missing this one due to other things I have going on.
    In the past the strength of the rallies lay in the mix of regulars and newbies.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Bummer. I was hoping to do this. my wife and I visit Barre quite often and I was looking forward to the new routes. Well I have the maps and the time I may still make a weekend out of it. not to mention the bonus of stopping at the Wayside Restaurant for a piece of their maple cream pie. Oh Mama!
      1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

Family plans prevented me from attending the last couple events. That weekend has become busy wit graduations and weddings. Hope it picks up...
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

The XS650 bunch just had record attendance at the Ozark Rally last weekend. The hobby isn't dead. This forum, might be.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            Family plans prevented me from attending the last couple events. That weekend has become busy wit graduations and weddings. Hope it picks up...
            Like you there is usually a couple of "the usual suspects" who want to but can't make it. But in the past with the usual 25-35 attendees one or two are missed but that still leaves a good-sized group. Well, it was like that. Lately only a couple of folks are posting, not a big group.

I know Darrell will attend, even if he is the only one. He was very earnest in his effort to organize this rally, and proud that he hasn't missed a rally in like forever. And he picked a nice neighborhood for this rally.

However, this fine group of enthusiasts I believe has neared its limit of enthusiasm, of rally expenditure for, and risk of, attending. I get it. These are aging bikes, harder and harder to maintain, and the risk riding to a distant destination increases every year. It's one thing to ride around town a few times each year, another to ride 400-600 miles, pay for several nights at a motel, two days of group rides and meals, and riding back again risking something small but irreplaceable breaking. Even if you attended last year successfully, this year you might break something. Then what? Parts are just not available. Yes some are sufficiently adept and enthusiastic to the point that they can fix some things and/or they spend a lot of money replacing parts or stockpiling old parts, but not many can or want to do this.

And some of us have moved on to other makes and models, some of those folks still attend XS11 rallies. Sally and I continued to attend because we had lots of fun meeting up with you folks! If it wasn't for our 14 day Newfoundland trip this year we were planning on meeting up with you folks once again.

But, based on last year's limited (2 nice XS11 IIRC, 6 bikes total) attendance, and this year's limited show of enthusiasm, I believe we are nearing the end of the XS11 East rally trail.
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty, I think that's partially true, but I don't believe it's been about the bike for a long time. I thought that we had evolved into a riding group that just got together for the joy of riding.
              In past years, if someone was crazy enough to volunteer to organize a rally, people got in line and showed up no matter the location. Now, if people aren't happy with the location they take their ball and go home. I had concerns about this location and voiced them in the forum, but decided that I would make the effort to attend even though it's out of my usual range. I may still.

Comment

Marty- I agree in many ways. I have a few XS's, and use my Standard as a daily. But, being up here in Michigan, I truly dread breaking-down and figuring out how to get home. It's a fun local bike. I truly enjoy riding it. But, I just don't enjoy the 12-hour rides anymore away from home.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Time & Money

Breaking down is a concern for sure, getting home...I get that, but getting a broke down bike home is more perpelxing to me.

My problems is centred around the metaphor for the sure things in life "Death & Taxes" otherwise known as "Time & Money"

Seems that allocating those two precous resources has proven to be too challenging to commit to XS East for me.
                  '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                  '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                  '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                    Seems that allocating those two precious resources has proven to be too challenging to commit to XS East for me.
                    Breaking down is part of the adventure. It's the stuff that makes memories. It tests us. The time and money thing just doesn't give way.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

To me the rallies are both about the XS11s and the friends we make. Bikes may change but the friends i've made are for life. Money and distance for me are the key factors in attending or not...
                      As Marty said the true adventures are when you ride the old bikes and things dont always go as planned..makes things more memorable than without..
                      The XSEast 2009 rally in VT was exacttly that for me. I rode the XJ1100 from NJ and it was a weekend of things gone awry..made for some classic memories and laughs to this day...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Rally is on

I got a phone message from Hollow Inn wondering about my reservation. I called back and spoke with Lou, the manager, on 4/30. Eight reservations have been made under my name. I'll confirm that as soon as I can. If this in not the case I let you know.

Evidently, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

I've ordered 10 t-shirts, so I plan on going.
                        Darrell
                        78E
                        80G project
                        06FJR

Comment

VERMONT.....where the people and the weather are the same kind of crazy

How many people does it take to have a rally?

Just like Lay's potato chips...you can't have just 1.

See ya in the green mountains.
                          Keith

BMW K1600GTL-E
                          Honda GL1800
                          -Suzuki GV1400
                          -Kawasaki KZ1300
                          -Yamaha Xs1100
                          -Honda CX500
                          -Kawasaki KZ440
                          -Honda XL350, SL100, Trail70

Comment

Mastan,

I made a reservation for you under my name. Reservations for 8 so they say.
                            Darrell
                            78E
                            80G project
                            06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                              Mastan,

I made a reservation for you under my name. Reservations for 8 so they say.
                              Thanks Darrell. I had made one last week so maybe I'll call and cancel. I didn't give them my CC info so it probably isn't an issue.
                              I'm looking forward to this once again.

Comment

XSEast 2019

Is it too late to sign up for the ride and a shirt(LG Short sleeve) now? Noticed the posts yesterday.

Best regards, Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X