A Ride Through The Adirondacks (NY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ride Through The Adirondacks (NY)

Just thought I would start this thread and make it public. Mr. Cuda and I are have been in contact and are planning to take a day ride up through the Adirondacks the first weekend in September. Exact date and time is tentative until the time gets closer but, shouldn't change too drastically.

We plan to meet in Utica, NY and ride North. We haven't worked the exact details of the route yet but, its a likely bet that we will be taking RT 28 through Old Forge up to Blue Mountain Lake and be heading back on RT 30 to Pleasant Lake. At that point, anyone heading back East can peal off and take RT 10 towards Johnstown or stick it out on RT 8 and ride back towards Utica. We could always do this route backwards too.

I am open to taking different routes as well. I have been eying Moose River Road (near the junction of RT 28 and RT 30) but dont know the quality of the pavement. It looks like it would also bypass civilization and all the scenic view from Blue Mountain Lake and Raquette Lake... If the road is quality, the twisty-ness might be worth it..?

Sound good? Anyone interested?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

me,me,me. although,I thought we were gonna meet in Lake Pleasent,and end up in Utica? I might stay the night out that way. I got a friend who lives in Onieda.I still gotta see if he wants to ride his Hardly with us.OK all you N.Y.ers and I know there's a couple east coasters who would love to see beautiful upstate.It's great this sime of year.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

I'd love to but i'm tied up that weekend
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
        ...I thought we were gonna meet in Lake Pleasent,and end up in Utica? ...
        I thought you said you would meet in Utica ... it doesnt matter to me either way. It would be just more miles for you any kind of back tracking just on different routes.

I sent a PM to Wulf (phantymwulf) who is out in Perry and also one to DeanR who is in the central southern tier area. It would be one long haul for Wulf, IDK if he would be up for it. When I get a day off I will drop by and see if Gary (sixtysix) is up for a ride with us...
        Last edited by WMarshy; 05-24-2012, 10:41 PM.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Will have to see if I can go.....all depends on work schedule....hopefully I can. I will pencil it in when I get back from XS east.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Quote:

"A motorcycle can’t sing on the streets of a city." Unknown

Comment

Hopefully you can go Gary, I wanted to End in Utica,cause a few friends of mine out that way want to go. I figured I'd probably stay there for the night,that's all. If that's a problem,I'm sure we could figure it out. motels would be cheaper there than up north that time of year.
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

To bad DuWayne,looking forward to meeting you.
              FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                I have been eying Moose River Road (near the junction of RT 28 and RT 30) but dont know the quality of the pavement. It looks like it would also bypass civilization and all the scenic view from Blue Mountain Lake and Raquette Lake... If the road is quality, the twisty-ness might be worth it..?
                Hmm, I'm not aware of the above. Moose River Road between Boonville and 28 is nice.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                  Hmm, I'm not aware of the above. Moose River Road between Boonville and 28 is nice.
                  Have you been on Moos River Rd? Its not going to turn to a seasonal path half way through is it?

Dean, you available to a ride?
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    Have you been on Moos River Rd? Its not going to turn to a seasonal path half way through is it?

Dean, you available to a ride?
                    Got a link to a map? Still don't know what road you're referring to Wade.
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                      Got a link to a map? Still don't know what road you're referring to Wade.
                      http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Si...via=1&t=m&z=11
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

ah -hah, That's a different Moose River Rd, and it changes names a few times. Never been there, but now that I see it, it will see me sometime.
                        I bet Gary My Sixtysix knows it.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

IDK but I'm willing to make the sacrifice and go check it out before we get around to making this trip. Maybe Gary is available to go check it out..? It will probably be Aug before I get the chance though...
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

I think I would like to try to join you all. Are you talking about Labor Day weekend?
                            Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                            mods to come

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJon View Post
                              I think I would like to try to join you all. Are you talking about Labor Day weekend?
                              First weekend in September... IDK, is that Labor day?
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                              X