Routes to XSEast from Raleigh NC???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routes to XSEast from Raleigh NC???

In planning my trip to Somerset I have been kinda frustrated by what I see on the map....I see a couple of routes...the most obvious is I95 North thru Richmond VA and then continue on 95 up to Wash.Dc and the friggin beltline...take the western spur of the beltline and exit off to I270 thru MD and connect to I70 that will take me to the PATPK and west to Somerset.
    Another route i see on the map takes me...I40 west from Raleigh to Greensboro NC then connects to NC220 that runs through VA,MD and WVA and into PA where it too connects up to the PATPK. While this route is problably more scenic it is also more local so time wise it problably would be slower than taking the first route mentioned above,,,Can or does anyone know about route 220 or any other good routes??? Pls advise...TIA
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Hi BNE,
    Hope this link works
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Rale...9.0783&2v=CITY

If not just go to Mapquest and type in a start and end . The above looks like a nice blend of interstate and smaller road and at 7 1/2 hours riding time not an over long day. Lunch and fuel stops would add 1 to 2 hours.
    ME ? I would head for the Blueridge Parkway but you already know I am nuts and not practical either
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Other than having to contend with the Greensboro and Roanoke areas, 220 is not a bad road, After leaving Roanoke it is primarly 2 lane and a lot of country. As you would be on I64 between Clifton Forge and Covington, a distance of about 15 mi. you could go another 25mi on 64 to Lewisburg, WV and take 219 from there to right at Somerset. Its mostly 2 lane and hilly and curvy.
      POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
      THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
      1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Hi BNE,
        Hope this link works
        http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Rale...9.0783&2v=CITY

If not just go to Mapquest and type in a start and end . The above looks like a nice blend of interstate and smaller road and at 7 1/2 hours riding time not an over long day. Lunch and fuel stops would add 1 to 2 hours.
        ME ? I would head for the Blueridge Parkway but you already know I am nuts and not practical either
        Phil
        Thanks Phil...I have used google and Bing maps which are better than Mapquest...no offense...As it is I do have a route worked out...Over on ADVRider forum some of the more local peole have filled me in..I want toavoid intersstates all the way...
        Last edited by madmax-im; 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by vanhump View Post
          Other than having to contend with the Greensboro and Roanoke areas, 220 is not a bad road, After leaving Roanoke it is primarly 2 lane and a lot of country. As you would be on I64 between Clifton Forge and Covington, a distance of about 15 mi. you could go another 25mi on 64 to Lewisburg, WV and take 219 from there to right at Somerset. Its mostly 2 lane and hilly and curvy.
          I'm going to take 220 all the way to Cumberland MD and from there get on US40 west to rte 36 to rte 160 to US219 into Somerset...that looks pretty good to me ... In that way i will avoid all interstates and avoid the PATPK as well...Thanks for your suggestions...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi BNE,
            I still use Mapquest only because it was the first one available back when dinosaurs roamed the earth So i am familiar with it's short comings. I find the times quite achievable too. Garmin has a different mapping system on my GPS which I argue with constantly on the road which gives me something to yell at
            Phil

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            I'm going to take 220 all the way to Cumberland MD and from there get on US40 west to rte 36 to rte 160 to US219 into Somerset...that looks pretty good to me ... In that way i will avoid all interstates and avoid the PATPK as well...Thanks for your suggestions...
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thats funny Phil..LOL according to Bing...my route is approx. 362 miles and would take 7 hrs and 47 mins...not including stops...quite doable...It reallly boiled down to asking people whom might know if this was a good way to go...as I did see this route on the maps...This route will problably wont take that much longerthan the interstates would...but I am not comfortable riding that far on them.
              As for Garmin...dont have one anymore...gave it up when it almost caused me to have an accident...so talk about the dinosaur age...I prefer a real road atlas and stopping and talking to people too
              Last edited by madmax-im; 02-05-2010, 07:14 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X