We need more than One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need more than One!

I dont see how we can get away with just one event per year in the East..I think there should be at least one more after Memorial Day.The traditional XS East rally will always be the Memorial Day weekend.Then when it gets a bit warmer and after black fly season...we have a rally North of the border...or a more northerly event than the rally in late May.
    I am sure there are other forums that meet more than once a season.In fact the ST forum has regional events all season long.If you have the time..as some do you can literally ride from on event to another or darn close to it...
    So tell me why we couldn't do this?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Hear, hear!!

The Spring Rally is a fixture, time to shake off the winter, and celebrate the beginning of the 'season'.
    I was thinking the same thing...why not have a closing event for the XSives?
    It is beautiful riding, particularly in New England, at the end of September all the way until early November. The mornings are cool, days are quite warm(70+), rarely rains, and the trees are beginning to turn.
    There should be some kind of run for that time of year. We have a lot of people come up this way to 'leaf peep', and such, alot of them on bikes. Halloween is a special treat in Salem, MA with the huge Witch City motorcycle run. Not that anyone needs to come up this way, not at all...just saying...
    Would it be that difficult to arrange something for the Northeasterners? Would anyone want to come? The kids would be back in school(for some of us, not a factor)so that could be an issue. Columbus Day is a holiday here and the Monday is an off day.
    I think it's a great suggestion, Ben. There are alot of fun events going on in this region at that time of year-country fairs, renaissance festivals, apple picking, etc. Lots of activity before the winter freezes us solid. It could be fun, no matter what part of the area we go to.
    Marty...wanna form another vote?
    80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
    79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

I think a fall rally would be perfect! Especialy when the fall colors are at their peak! There would be very few bugs, no ridiculous heat waves or humidex warnings. With holiday season over accomodations should be a bit more economical as well!

JAT!

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

It just seems to me that alot of ppl are interested in a more northerly clime.As we've been discussing ths for a while now.I get the feeling many would love to see a more Northerly placed event.I know I am interested in VT/NH/or Ontario as well.Since the last XSEast was in PA.I think it would be fair to the more southerly riders if we had the memorial day rally in VA or W.VA or any other state that would be close to them.Then later in late summer early fall have the more northern rally.I think this would appease alot of riders...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

IMHO, There's really no reason to stand on ceremony and we don't actually have 'officially designated' rallies, we just kind of get together. The Memorial Day one has become the 'kickoff' for the Northeast season.

We should get together as often as we can, whenever, wherever and whoever can make it will show. Instead of trying to appeal to masses north, south, east west, etc, why not just announce it, and see what happens. If someone wants one in their locale, they can do one too.

"build it and they will come"

Comment

This does make alot of sense ,Randy.People establish their regional event and then its whomever shows up...I agree we should meet as often as possible too.I think you'd be amazed at the number of evnts all over the country that the ppl on the ST forum organize.I dont expect this forum to duplicate those numbers..we are not as big a group as other forums...but more events is better.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yeah, that's what I had in mind when I posted the Mystic trip, seemed to work out, too, looks like we'll have 5-10 bikes, good number for a day "rally".

Comment

DISCLAIMER...I am not promoting anything one way or the other, just relating what the club I belong to does....

The Venturers (www.venturers.org) has a two-tier setup for get-togethers, a "Ride-In" and a "Meet & Eat". What's happening at Mystic, CT, would be considered a "Meet & Eat", which is essentially a one-day or one-afternoon get-together at a restaurant and a possible ride after if the weather permits. Meet & Eats will occur rain or shine, people will come in cages if it is raining, so on and so forth...it is generally a very local event but everyone is welcome. These occur all year around, people just come in cars in the winter.

A "Ride-In" is more involved and usually regionally based, but all members are welcome no matter where they come from. For example, this year there were/are Ride-Ins in Wisconsin, West Virginia, the Adirondack Mt. of NY, Illinois, Colorado, Iowa, Tennessee, and other places I can't remember at the moment. In the past we've had Ride-Ins in Rhode Island/Connecticut, Massachusetts, South Dakota, Alaska, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Canadian Rockies, New Hampshire, among others. Ride-Ins are not once a year events, they are as often as someone wants to throw them. They are usually a weekend, long weekend, or even a week long, based out of a motel or campground in an interesting area to ride in. We try to get a spot where Venturers can get together in the evening to talk about the day's events, have some fun, and get to know each other. Everybody leaves these events wishing they could turn around and do it all over again! Ride-Ins require a host/hosts local to or familiar with the area to plan out the rides, dinners and such.

Russ and I are throwing a Ride-In in the Adirondacks this August. We'll be at the Mystic Pizza shindig if you want to discuss generating these kinds of events and how the Venturers do it.
                BobE
                Richmond, RI
                1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
                2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
                1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
                1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
                1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
                1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
                1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

Have you people looked at the other rally sections on this site there were at least 11 rallys post in the last 30 days . Not counting the road trip that Marty & I planed that was a 10 day mini one. with other xsers . Then there was the Lawn Firemen Breakfast ride that Randy started and the only one who made it was Earl. As for one in the Fall the last one of the year is usually down at T. W. O. (two wheels only) in Ga. where they ride the Dragon and other twisted road or so I'm told . That's where Tracy & I'm headed in Sept. One of the western rallys is a rolling rally of about2400 miles in 9 days. this site has more then one rally a year I've been to as many as 3 in 1 year they are just not in 1 area.
                  Ralph dayshttps://home.comcast.net/~denny.zander/XS11-PNW-30yr-Rally.html

Comment

You get my vote for a Columbus Day weekend rally in the NE. A three day weekend that can be stretched into four.

I'd like to attend TWO Suches. The riding sounds great but its not on a holiday weekend, I'd have to take 2-3 days off to make it and finally I'd like a nice warm bed and bath after all those hours on the road.

Darrell
                    78E, 79SF
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

Just so's you all know, Columbus Day weekend is a very busy period for NE and the Adirondacks, and what motels that are still open (many close after Labor Day) will be charging big fees if they are not full already.

Add to that increased traffic of leaf-peepers on narrow roads not adequately designed for them contributes to S L O O O W going in some areas.

Now, with that said, it may be different this year with the high gas prices.
                      BobE
                      Richmond, RI

PREVIOUS RIDES
                      1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5

Comment

I have always seen a huge benefit to traveling in the "off season" of whatever my destination might be. SWMBO and I like to vacation in the Pacific NW in September simply because the crowds are thinner and the price of lodging is lower.

Just my opinion on travel and crowds.
                        I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                        3J6 003509
                        Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                        Fuse Block Upgrade
                        Mike's XS Green Coils
                        Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

You and me both, egleaves!
                          BobE
                          Richmond, RI

PREVIOUS RIDES
                          1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5

Comment

Working...
                          X