Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt's broken leg

Hey folks,

Yeah...........unfortunately this happened way too soon in my riding career as far as I'm concerned BUT hey........S**t happens, right?....It could have been alot worse.

Going approx 30 Mph, I swerved to avoid t-boning a huge Chrysler Aspen SUV that was making a left turn from her STOP into the intersection............I think it would have won.....:-)

Anyhow broken fibula in 2 places, don't know if FJ is a complete write-off............my wife Lori is kinda hoping it is.............I would jump on a bike today if I could but................well I won't get into it............I'm sure you've all heard it before...........

It'll be a relaxing summer...............something I haven't had before so that'll be a change.

Sadly,

Matt..............the guy who was loving every minute of riding.....

Ride on

Sorry to hear that Matt, but i have been there done that and i now watch everybody weather they are stopped or not. Hope you get another bike it was nice meeting you in New York.
    Hope to see you in the wind again soon.
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Thanks Matt for posting this.... You know you have made friends here and I thought they should know about it.
      As Mitch has said... been there done that.... back in 1979 a guy made a left hand turn in front of me and I clipped the front left corner and broke my wrist. Bike was in the shop all summer. Thinking back now I should have gotten them to write it off and bought a new bike.
      It's just like a horse... you fall off you just got to get back on and ride again.

I'm sure there might be a couple more here thar can tell you a story or two.
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

I am glad you are able to write this . It could be worse.

When I was 18 I was hit by a car. The bike was totalled but I only had a few broken bones and a nice burn. Everyone asked if I was going to ride again. I thought that was funny because all I could think about was riding again. A week later my buddy let me ride his bike around the block (me in a sling etc.). Just so people would stop asking me if I was going to ride again.Then when the bones healed I bought a new bike.

Heal fast and ride hard. Now you just have one more story to tell at the next rally.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

in 97 had a guy make a left in front of me to go into his driveway. hit right in the middle of his hood left a nice dent. nothing broke but badly sprained. a month later back on the bike after it was fixed. heal up & jump back on.

Comment

Matt,

You must be getting used to the cast by now. Just curious...Did you put your foot down to try to keep the bike from hitting the pavement?

Heal quickly!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I cut and pasted this from another thread

Hey Marty,

I'm not sure...............it happened so fast...........I think it was pinned between my footpeg (which broke off) and my shift lever.........who knows?..............it doesn't really matter.....

Yeah, I'm getting pretty quick around the house on these friggin' crutches........up and down the stairs.....hopefully on Thurs. I'll get a walking cast.........I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

ride safe!!

Matt
              Tom
              2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
              gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Hi Matt,
                I just got home from holidays yesterday and this is the first I've heard of this. I am really sorry to hear about your accident, but at least you are OK. Fortunately you can always replace your bike and unfortunately a life you can't.

Good luck and I hope you recover soon.
                Wayne Reddin
                80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Hey Wayne,

Thanks I appreciate it...........:-)

btw..... Good news is no surgery but I can't put any weight on it because of the location of the break sooooo no walking cast for me which means 4 more lovely weeks tripping all over the place with these crutches.......

Oh well........I'm almost 1/2 way there........

Take care.......hope you got your bike up and running.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattster
                    Hey Wayne,

Thanks I appreciate it...........:-)

btw..... Good news is no surgery but I can't put any weight on it because of the location of the break sooooo no walking cast for me which means 4 more lovely weeks tripping all over the place with these crutches.......

Oh well........I'm almost 1/2 way there........

Take care.......hope you got your bike up and running.

Matt
                    Hi Matt,
                    I too just getting back to the forum. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Get well soon.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

hi Matt

Matt,
                      Sorry to hear of mishap & injury.

My Brother Jon Had very similar experience with car pulling out from sidestreet past stop sign. Resulted in fractured tib & fib. It seemed like a long time healing. Now he is well, bike fixed, nice paint job, new foot peg, (new front tire too). He called this week and wants to go riding.

Better days ahead.
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hi Matt
                        Hope you're healing up well and hope to see you at more rallies!
                        Dean
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

the now almost healed leg...:-)

Hey there,

5 more days to go.....but who's counting..............and good bye cast and crutches!! I'm a firm believer that good always comes from bad and my Voice over work has picked up so that's really cool!!

For those that didn't know, I do voice overs so now is a good a time as any for a little self promotion............If anyone ever needs my services, please don't hesitate to contact me. You can check out my newly created website and click on the demos link and have a listen.
                          http://www.mattsvoice.com
                          Sorry, I tried to insert this link.......not sure if it worked......you may have to cut & paste it......

Hope all is well with everyone!!

Matt

Comment

recovering

Hi Matt,

Link worked. It sounded to me like you are closer to Minnisota than Alabama, but I could understand you very well, even here in Georgia.

Congrats on upcoming cast removal. I am sure you look forward to full usagen again. Do not be surprised if muscles not used for long time are very weak and have limited mobility. With streaching and exercise, usage returns.... Just mot immediately.

Following surgery for inguinal hernia, I was instructed not to lift more than X puonds, then a little more and light duty at work.

Two solutions that worked for me;
                            1 side car rig - I could ride without having to hold it up while stopping, getting on or off.
                            2-smaller bike while on light duty. An old honda 450 was what I rode to work for three weeks.

Could be a good time to try something new.

Some rallys coming up..
                            CU & happy motoring soon,
                            Brent in Ga
                            PS Do not be overly concerned about a new uncomfortable hypervigilance regarding traffic. The discomfort fades with time & practice.
                            It is a great big beautiful world out there
                            Brent in GA
                            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Good to hear the cast is coming off.
                              Gary Granger
                              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                              X