No announcement yet.

XS Central 14 Midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'll start the planning process then. Haywardguy- I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Is the tentative plan the UP?
      78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
      79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Yup on the yoop (UP)

Yes, I'd throw it out there that I'd organize it in the UP, specifically based in Houghton in the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's some of the best riding in Michigan, and I know the area. Seems that folks enjoyed themselves last year, and there are more roads to ride and sights/sites to see than we were able to hit last year.

I was thinking Aug 16th through the 19th or 20th. It's before freshman orientation at MTU, and close enough to Labor day that I think there will be fewer tourists clogging the roads in that timeframe. That'll give us some non-weekend traffic riding times too. I'll probably plan to get there Friday the 15th in case anyone wants to just ride on the weekend to get back home Sunday.

I've never been to a rally (except just meeting up with the folks last year), so I'm not entirely sure what's expected. I got some good tips from Ken (haywardguy929) about it, but anything else people want to make sure I know about hosting a rally, please tell me. I'm open to suggestions/advice.

Is this how to start organizing a rally?

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Originally posted by Erik the Red View Post
          Yes, I'd throw it out there that I'd organize it in the UP, specifically based in Houghton in the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's some of the best riding in Michigan, and I know the area. Seems that folks enjoyed themselves last year, and there are more roads to ride and sights/sites to see than we were able to hit last year.

I was thinking Aug 16th through the 19th or 20th. It's before freshman orientation at MTU, and close enough to Labor day that I think there will be fewer tourists clogging the roads in that timeframe. That'll give us some non-weekend traffic riding times too. I'll probably plan to get there Friday the 15th in case anyone wants to just ride on the weekend to get back home Sunday.

I've never been to a rally (except just meeting up with the folks last year), so I'm not entirely sure what's expected. I got some good tips from Ken (haywardguy929) about it, but anything else people want to make sure I know about hosting a rally, please tell me. I'm open to suggestions/advice.

Is this how to start organizing a rally?

-Erik
          I think that's pretty much it. Pick a route, then pick a date (that works for most, maybe lining up with a holiday), then figure out lodging, and then figure out who's bringing the hotdogs and relish!
          78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
          79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Ugh.. Someone tries to make me eat a hot dog in Brat country.. I'll make them try to drink a Coors Light.

I guess that's not a fair comparison though.. At someplaces, I'd eat a hot dog, but would never drink a Coors Light anywhere. lol.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'd meant to get something posted by now, but just didn't. So here's the semi-official pre-announcement so any interested folks can block off the time on their calendars. I'll start a new thread with all the details soon. I've got it typed up saved on my computer at work. Only problem is that I had ACL surgery a week ago and haven't been at work since then to get it posted. I know, excuses, excuses...

Rally to be held:
              August 15th-17th
              Houghton, Michigan

So get the dates on your calendars and watch for a new thread with details & specifics in the next week or so. Holler if you have any questions (holler real loud -I might be in the garage).

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
              '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Are you sure the snow will be gone by then ?
                ;-)
                81 H

Comment

No, I'm not sure, BUT in my (admittedly substantial) time at MTU up there, the latest I saw snow, was into early-mid June. Granted that was at the bottom of the ski hill but it was a south facing slope. So that should give us a good two months of cushion.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                  '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

I'll gladly make a return trip. You showed us some great roads last year Eric. Dates are on the calendar.
                    XJ1100 Ruby Red
                    XS1100LH "Midnight"
                    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Working...
                    X