Slimey Crud Run - Madison WI area - Sunday, May 5, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slimey Crud Run - Madison WI area - Sunday, May 5, 2013

To the folks in the Madison, WI area: the Slimey Crud Run takes place this coming weekend.

http://www.slimeycrudrun.com/

Where: Pine Bluff, WI – 10AM (Peak time of total people in attendance)
    Ride To: Leland, WI – 1PM (Peak time of total people in attendance)
    Ride Back to: Pine Bluff, WI
    Route: Make up your own!
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Wish I could make it, we got a good foot of snow last night.
    81 H

Comment

Originally posted by haywardguy929 View Post
      Wish I could make it, we got a good foot of snow last night.
      Yeah, I have family a little north of you. I guess there was 2" of snow there, but they specifically mentioned that there was more in your direction. You wouldn't believe that the grass is looking pretty green around here!

Comment

Nice little clip that gives a summary of the SCR: http://podcast.wpr.org/wlf/2013/WL_1...Crud_Davis.mp3

Comment

Sounds like a great get together, if you can post some pics, I'd like to see some if ya can. Ride safe and enjoy.
          81 H

Comment

Sounds like a great get together, if you can post some pics, I'd like to see some if ya can. Ride safe and enjoy.
            Will do, I'll see what I can get.

Comment

As requested, here are some pictures.

It was a great day for a ride here in southern Wisconsin. It seems like many others thought so also. I started off at The Red Mouse in Pine Bluff.

Bikes lined the parking lots and streets, stretching nearly a mile.

There were all kinds of bikes...

I was shocked at how much I liked the Carbon Fiber decals on this one. I thought it would be cheesy, but it really turned out great!

Definitely some interesting bikes.

I was surprised how few older Yamaha's I saw. This was an XS650 I ran across.

And this Suzuki GT185 is a little 2-stroke bike like my KE, but this one is a 2-cylinder. I think it's interesting how some manufacturers built expansion chambers into the exhaust, but it doesn't appear that Suzuki elected to do so.

And I remember what you guys think about the CBX. Here's one that's still on the road.

Here's what I think is a V-Max departing. I remember this bike from last year. Stretched swing arm and chrome everywhere. And plenty of go-fast goodies. It is a mean bike.

Meanwhile, over in Leland, even more people congregate. I lucked out and got the last hamburger they had for sale! Yum. I hear that "the thing" to have is the summer sausage and cheese sandwich. I saw a few people walking around with them. They looked good, piled high with slabs of cheese and summer sausage. I'll have to try one of those next time I'm there!

I got someone to snap my picture. The guy rode up on a Suzuki DR650, so we chatted about dual sports for a while.

And here's what I believe to be an XS1100. It's the only one I saw all day. I think this one is a '78. Notice the kick start stub. Looks like they installed some aftermarket rear shock and exhaust. Nice paint job.

I hope everyone else had a good & safe weekend.
              Last edited by CRXSi90; 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Looks like a heck of a nice get together with all kinds of different bikes. Also looked like a sunny day. Got out today for a few short runs between a project I'm working on. Whats the status on your 81? Thanks for posting and take care out there.
                81 H

Comment

Looks like a heck of a nice get together with all kinds of different bikes. Also looked like a sunny day. Got out today for a few short runs between a project I'm working on. Whats the status on your 81? Thanks for posting and take care out there.
                  Yep, it was a perfect day for the get together. I was surprised that a few people commented on my KE175 and reminisced about how they used to have one back in the day.

I have this weird thing about ending up with 1981 motorcycles, but I'm guessing you're asking about the XS11. By "rehabilitatin'" in my signature, I really mean sitting untouched. It is in storage ~6 hours north of me. It needs a few things before getting back on the road, and I can never really make any progress on my infrequent visits. I keep chipping away at it, though. The last time, I grabbed the carbs to clean them up. Here's a list of things that should really get done before putting it on the road:
                  • clean carbs
                  • new battery
                  • new tires
                  • front brake line
                  • change all fluids and grease throughout
                  • fuse box repair

And the list of things that should probably be done:
                  • thorough cleaning of brakes
                  • new right side peg support bracket (cracked)
                  • hi/lo light switch repair (I was going to mold some of these for people in similar situations, but I've been too busy to dedicate time to it)
                  • probably more that I haven't thought of

and the list of things I would like to do:
                  • get new handle bars which suit me better than the 'tiller bars
                  • remove the fairing if they interfere with the bars. The plastic of the fairing mounts is broken and it's not held real securely, so I wouldn't mind trying naked for a while.

With such a long list, it's hard to make much progress when the bike is 6 hours away. Possibly sometime I'll rent a trailer and bring it down, but I really try not to aggravate the property management (I rent) and I think a non-op bike wouldn't keep them smiling. The only thing I can think of is renting a storage unit until I get it up and running. But whenever I get this far down the train of thought, I get frustrated that I don't have a nice shop to work in.

So that's probably a longer answer than you were expecting, but that's where it's at. It will take a chunk of change, some space, and some time to get it back on the road. I still hang out here and enjoy picking up tidbits about the bike, but at the same time I feel a little out of place since I don't have an operational eleven.

Comment

I think you told me your bike was up by Wascot or that area a while back.
                    Sounds like you have a good list, some not to bad, battery,tires sound the most costly. the line, fuse block not to bad. same with the fluid changes.
                    Maybe a good dose of Seafoam would be all the carbs need a lot of people swear by it.. Worth a try anyway. I'm planning a get together this summer and possibly could have some guys that would help with some of it. I'm looking at dates and may just blow off the LCO Bike show date. I should set a date real soon so folks can make plans and reservations etc. We might be able to work something out if anyone is willing to donate a little time, I have a pick up and ramp as well.
                    All hypothetical at this point but not counting me most XS owners are wiz's.
                    I can provide a garage most tools and moral(beer) support. There's also a shop in town that works on bikes and sells tires etc. That seems to be the biggest thing. Something to think about, I know it's a good chunk of change but it would get you closer to riding if it can be worked out.
                    Something to think about anyway. Maybe someone else can offer a better plan/advice as well. Does your bike have the trunk and bags too? I can't say enough with how happy I am with mine.
                    81 H

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post

And here's what I believe to be an XS1100. It's the only one I saw all day. I think this one is a '78. Notice the kick start stub. Looks like they installed some aftermarket rear shock and exhaust. Nice paint job.

I hope everyone else had a good & safe weekend.
                      Nice turnout for what looks like a quite rural area (silos in background)... I believe that XS11 to be a 79SF. Thanks for sharing.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                        Nice turnout for what looks like a quite rural area (silos in background)... I believe that XS11 to be a 79SF. Thanks for sharing.
                        Yep, that's the beauty of this ride, and this area. 10 miles to my east is the center of Madison, and 10 miles to my west is where this ride starts. It's not too hard to get out to rural areas with rolling farmland around here. Some people came from quite a distance...Some from Illinois and others from the Milwaukee area.

I think you told me your bike was up by Wascot or that area a while back.
                        Sounds like you have a good list, some not to bad, battery,tires sound the most costly. the line, fuse block not to bad. same with the fluid changes.
                        Maybe a good dose of Seafoam would be all the carbs need a lot of people swear by it.. Worth a try anyway. I'm planning a get together this summer and possibly could have some guys that would help with some of it. I'm looking at dates and may just blow off the LCO Bike show date. I should set a date real soon so folks can make plans and reservations etc. We might be able to work something out if anyone is willing to donate a little time, I have a pick up and ramp as well.
                        All hypothetical at this point but not counting me most XS owners are wiz's.
                        I can provide a garage most tools and moral(beer) support. There's also a shop in town that works on bikes and sells tires etc. That seems to be the biggest thing. Something to think about, I know it's a good chunk of change but it would get you closer to riding if it can be worked out.
                        Something to think about anyway. Maybe someone else can offer a better plan/advice as well. Does your bike have the trunk and bags too? I can't say enough with how happy I am with mine.
                        Yep, about 20 miles north of Wascott. That's a thought. I will see what I can get done between now and then as far as cleaning up the carbs and stuff, but that's definitely an option. If I could get a bunch of the parts ordered, we could really make some progress.

Yep, fairing, bags, trunk. Pretty nice setup. Here are the last pictures I had of the bike. They're @ shutterfly, so I don't know if this will work.

*they turned out smaller than expected. I'll see what I can do to get bigger pics.

Here's a nice note that the property management sent out to everyone.

Comment

Okay, let me try the pictures again...

These pictures aren't great, but it's something.

Now for some of the fun stuff...Can you see the front brake line hiding behind the handle bar at the top of this picture?

Woo, check it out! A hose clamp and some copper tubing! That can't be safe.

Seems to have been dropped on the right, since the bag guard is bent.

And this, the right side peg bracket is broken at the part where it thins around the brake lever.

You know, the usual thing going on in the fuse box...

Lots of fun things going on here. Electrical tape and zip tie around the intake boots, vacuum port leading to a tee with a bolt in one end and open on the other...

Vacuum port on the other side not going much of anywhere...

And a mystery box in the center of this photo. I traced the wires before, but I don't remember what I learned. I'm thinking it was something to the lights...maybe to have the rear amber's be running lights instead of only on for turn signals. Not sure...

Not seen in this picture, but I believe the wheel speed sensor is on the other side. It must be repaired/replaced, because it looks like someone bent up some sheet metal and mounted the pickup. The speedo worked fine.

Some of it is superficial, but stuff like the brake lines should definitely be done before riding much. Are you scared yet?

Comment

The tires don't look bad, are they dry rotted? Fuse box I wouldn't worry about if its working and something you could do later if needed. You could check on the stainless brake lines here and know they will work and fit.Some is out of my area of expertise.
                            I would check with the guys here as far as what they consider priorities.
                            You'd get much better advice then what I can give. Oh and I think you can just get the peg bracket welded, I have a shop just out of town that has done work for me and have been satisfied with their work, it don't look like rocket surgery . I'd be interested in what some other opinions are and you can formulate a plan from there. Fluid changes, grease er up, a little cleaning and I think she'd be ready.
                            81 H

Comment

I think a brake line and battery, clean up the front calipers with new fluid and clear out the vacuum mess (should only have #2 manifold and # 3 manifold hooked to petcocks and #2 CARB hooked to timing advance w all others plugged.)

You can diddle low speed on those tires. Forget welding aluminum, those brackets are a dime a dozen. 81 STD shares bracket with the specials (except for black line detail)

Bag guards still work bent. Though center connector is upside down (u should point down to assist getting tire out)

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X