Rally in Manhattan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rally in Manhattan

i am really looking forward to this. The longest rides I've been on are a few long sunday rides (250 miles or so).

Fusionking, you can find the Camp2001 group over at yahoo groups
    Ken Talbot

Comment

VERY SUCKY news

Today I was driving my sons girlfriends Jimmy and was pulling into my driveway when I lost the brakes!!!! Well first I ran over the lawnmower (push) then thru my garage door taking out my XS and shoving it into my 5.0 convertable and cramming all into the back wall of my garage busting it untill it tore the deck lose. Dont know the total damage yet but it don't look very good. My XS is F#@%^&& like all %^$#@&*% . What sucks even more is she might have paid her premium too late to be covered!So..... I don't know if I will make the Rally or not now. I was bringing my 9 year old son and it was gonna be a father son camping deal. But even as I'm typing this I'm gettin' mad as hell and thinking just go for it and bring it anyway!!!!!!!!!! It wouldn't be pretty anymore but at least it'll be living up to it's name1
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

OH MAN THAT SUCKS!

sorry to hear it. hope you can still make the rally. it would be great to meet you.

Comment

Accessin' the damage

Yea I know and the real bummer is I had filled all the emblems and all and now any thing painted looks like pure s%#@&*%!It busted a bunch of fins off the head and don't know iff the valve cover leaks or not. Handle bars are toast so I gotta fix that before I can give it a try. The gas tank now holds a lot less. As soon as I do anything I'll keep you posted.
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Busted Pieces

Still finding broken parts to my XS laying around the garage. Last nite I noticed the corner of the valve cover is busted. Just a few minutes ago I noticed that the frame is slighty bent down by the motor mount. The bike was sitting sideways behind my "stang so it got sandwiched in the middle of the crash. Those crash bars really helped save a lot of stuff. They pushed the stang at least 4 feet in park. The good part is I know I can buy it all. Thank God for E-bay!!!!!!!!!!
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

For those that are thinking about showing up to the Manhattan Rally (still working on a name), could you give me an idea what days you might be here, am or pm arrival, how many coming, camping or moteling? I was talking to my local independent motorcycle shop Saturday & he's going to give us a box of stuff for door prizes (or more likely awards at the end) & may ride w/us a day or two. Thanks,
              James

Comment

It must be female

It looks to me like the rally sorta named itself! HAHA
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I'm getting going on tee-shirts- hope to have pic's by friday. We have to buy at least 15, & they'll be about $12.00 each.
                  James

Comment

Motels

I've been asking around for deals on motels for any that arn't camping and it looks like the best deal isn't anything special- Motel 6 regular rates 35-40 a night, 1-800-466-8356. It's on Tuttle Creek Blvd (highway 24) about 5 miles from the campsite. Day's Inn will give us a special rate of $55.00 a night and is ever so slightly closer, but not worth the difference (it was the holiday inn before they built the holidome on the other side of town). So if you want to make a reservation, give them a call. But you should be able to just walk in when you arrive, as we are the only special event I know of that week . Looking forward to seeing everyone,
                    James

Comment

James--count on me for an XL T-shirt.

When you have an itinerary worked out (ride plans & such), fire it to me so I can figure out when I can make it over. Current plan is to come over one afternoon/evening during the week (Wed/Thur), then bring the gear Fri. afternoon, stay the weekend, and ride to Cassoday Sun. AM.
                      Tom Hunt
                      Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
                      1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

I'm still planning on making it down. I now have to schedule around a wedding so we'll see.

Comment

directions

Probably ought to give directions for those that use the forum. Tuttle Creek Lake is about 5 miles from Manhattan, west on Highway 24 (which runs north at this point), also called Tuttle Creek Blvd. in town. As you're rinding down a small hill, you'll see a small brown sign pointing out the River Pond area. There's also a geodesic dome thats a bait shop on the right. take the turn & go north, away from the bait shop, around the outlet tubes & follow the road along the face of the dam. About halfway along you'll see the campgrounds on the right (south) with the trailer for the camp hosts at the entrance where you can check in. I was told to set up anywhere as there won't be much compitition. I plan to be in the back, near but not too near one of the showers. I'll have the Banner (thanks, Jerry!) as well as a screen tent & my tent set up.

Important! Because no one has said they will be showing up on tuesday, I plan on setting up on wednesday afternoon. If you want to arrive on tuesday, please email me directly at jmsd@ksu.edu so I know about it. If you want to talk to me about directions, ect., email & I'll give you my phone#, or call you.

I'm looking forward to everyone getting to enjoy my part of KS!
                          James

Comment

Campsite is set up, just came back to get the bike. The small brown sigh says "Tuttle Creek State Park" . If you're not camping, in theory you need to get a day pass to be in the park area (6.50), but I've been told you can come in & get me w/out one. There is a lot near the tubes you can park in & walk, or come get me to shuttle you in. Camping went up to $14.50 since I checked (budget crisis), just so you know. I'm in site #95, banner will be up soon. And we may be in the local paper on sunday (available on line, The Manhattan Mercury), but we'll see. Looking forward to the first arrivals,
                            James

Comment

Working...
                            X