Cam chain adjuster travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain adjuster travel

After adjusting this cam chain a number of times over the years and never hearing it snap, I decided that I was starting to hear chain noise more than I remember.
    Started the usual procedure of adjusting and locked it in place and removed adjuster for first time. With digital micrometer measured and then released adjuster lock and measured again.
    I have a good 5/32nds of travel left.
    I think I’m ok for this season yet and hopefully the noise I hear was my imagination?
    Valves were adjusted 3,000 miles ago.

Has anyone checked the travel measurement after installing a new chain?
    I’m wondering how long this chain will go and what measurement a new chain starts from.
    I’ve got 32,000 on clock but PO said Speedo was broke for a year or so.
    There was no gasket on adjuster, just silicone. I put it back together with ultra copper silicone again. It did not leak previously.
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

You don’t want to hear a click. Hearing the click is a sign you haven’t adjusted the tensioner often enough. I have never measured mine the way you did but I do measure it. I measure the depth of the spring loaded tensioner pin inside the tensioner housing (in other words measuring from the front end of the house to the end of the spring loaded tensioner pin with a dial caliper) I got 0.744” the last time I adjusted it. When I first got XS#2 I took the tensioner apart and measured this depth with the spring completely extended. It was 0.840” so I only have 0.096” left of travel. That didn’t seem like much to me so I wonder about the condition of my chain. Your 5/32” (0.156”) seems pretty good to me. It would be nice to know what it is with a new chain.

I check the depth once a year when I adjust the cam chain tension (may do that more often now that I’m retired and, hopefully, ride a lot more). I adjust it per the manual with one exception. Thinking that the spring, this far out in its travel, might not take all the slack out like it should, I give one big push to the tensioner pin with an allen wrench (nut and bolt loose) just to make sure it is in as far as it can go. I then tighten the bolt and nut with just the spring pressure pushing the tensioner against the chain. Don’t know if that really does anything.

I had it apart the first time because the front seal was leaking. I taped the end of the housing and replaced the seal with a very short 3/8”-16 allen bolt and o-ring. It hasn’t leaked and it makes taking the measurement easy. The oil spot on the floor tells me when I forget to put the bolt back in.
    #1 ’79 XS11 Special
    #2 ’79 XS11 Special
    '97 V-Max
    '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Working...
    X