Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACCEL Spark Plug Wires

ACCEL Spark Plug Wires

Can anyone on the list give me info on where or what their yellow Accel wire kit came off of when they bought it? I want to change my wires over on the spare set of coils and have them ready to put in when needed. Also what ends did you use at the plug end?
    Sid Clarke (sclarke@sd68.bc.ca)

Mine were called Accel high performancing racing wires (maybe not "street legal" due to low resistance values supposedly causing radio interference). I got them at Checker Auto for about 20.00/set for a V8. Make sure they are stranded metal core rather that "solid core" stuff. Use your screw-on type NGK plug connectors (~6 k ohm each) with dielectric grease to prevent oxidation.

Sid Hansen

I replaced a pair of coils on my 80 Standard a month ago which cured some low rpm power loss problems. Since then I have studied the new tip for replacing coil wires. I thought I would recondition my old ones to have a spare. In the process I have found that, for all three sets of coils that I have to play with here, that the inner -- longer -- plug caps for cylinders 2 and 3 have resistances of about 5 to 5.5 K ohms. The outer caps for cylinders 1 and 4 have resistances of about 8 to 8.5 K ohms. The Yamaha Manual for 78-80 states the resistances should be 5 K ohms (or 5.5 K ohms for the SF models). Is the manual wrong about what was supplied on these bikes, or do the outer caps have some reason for degrading faster, or what? Has anyone bought and measured resistances for new caps from Yamaha?

John E. Higgins

I have seen the same thing with NGK brand connectors, but I do not think it has to do with the end locations. I have also noticed that they can increase resistance appreciably when they heat up. It is a good thing to carry in the travel bag.

Sid Hansen

I don't know about Genuine Yamaha caps, but the replacement NGK resistor caps I bought are listed at 5K ohms for both the inner and outer caps.

Bill Kingson
Working...
X