Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you're telling me that's not a Phillips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you're telling me that's not a Phillips?

Here's something that I didn't know for over three decades of working on bikes and was glad to know after I learned about it. This is old hat for many of us but as mentioned, there's an awful lot of us that never knew the difference!

How many of us have stripped out a Phillips head screw while working on our bikes? Well guess what, Japanese manufacturers use a slightly different version of a Phillips known as JIS (Japanese industrial standard) and sure enough, once I spent $15 on the right set of screwdrivers I've never stripped one out since.

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-an...-phillips.html
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

I worked as a mechanic for over 40 years (25 of them in bike shops) and the amount of dodgy screws i had to deal with was crazy !!!! all because the owner didn't use the right screwdriver

Comment

I did government contract work back in the early 90's and you couldn't use the same fastener more than once. If you stripped the head, you had to replace it. They were pretty anal if they inspected and seen a buggered up screw. I bought a set of JIS screwdrivers on E- bay several years ago. You would be surprised how much easier the screws come out when you use the right tool.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
      X