Lost choke rod detent ball and spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost choke rod detent ball and spring

If the spring and ball get lost during a carb rebuild, I read somewhere that the ball and spring from a grease Zerk fitting can replace it. You just need to drill the end of the zerk slightly and the ball and spring come right out.
    Note that in some cases the ball in the Zerk fitting may be a bit small, as the ball bearing is a 1/8" dia. (0.125"). If so, the 1/8" balls are readily available from hardware supply store as a stock item, you can just use the Zerk spring works, which is the harder piece to find. The spring is the correct dia but may be a bit long; you can cut it down (in length).

Originally posted by Hawkinspickle View Post
    If the spring and ball get lost during a carb rebuild, I read somewhere that the ball and spring from a grease Zerk fitting can replace it. You just need to drill the end of the zerk slightly and the ball and spring come right out.
    Note that in some cases the ball in the Zerk fitting may be a bit small, as the ball bearing is a 1/8" dia. (0.125"). If so, the 1/8" balls are readily available from hardware supply store as a stock item, you can just use the Zerk spring works, which is the harder piece to find. The spring is the correct dia but may be a bit long; you can cut it down (in length).
    I have never tried what you are suggesting and may be a cheap alternative. The parts are still available. Look at items 10 and 11 on the following listing from Partzilla. Yamaha Motorcycle 1980 OEM Parts Diagram for CARBURETOR | Partzilla.com
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinspickle View Post
      Correctomundo !!!
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
      X