Engine Tear Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Tear Down

I have a couple of XS motors that I am tearing down to build a test stand motor. I have the top ends off, but having trouble getting the cylinders to seperate from the case. Any tricks?
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

A prybar and plenty of cursing.
    1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

It took me lots of pounding with a rubber mallet, then some more careful pounding with a small sledge hammer against a block of wood. You just want to watch that you're not beating sideways against a fin so you don't break one off. There are a couple of spots you can pry at with an oversized screwdriver, but again, be careful you don't snap off a fin.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

OK, sounds like I am using the common method. I have done the rubber mallet and the ballpeen with wood block approach with no luck. Souds like I need to step up to the 3lb hammer.

Before I do more impacting, I sprayed the mating surface with gasket desolver/remover. I will let that work on it over night. I will see if that helps. I just don't want to damage it.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Success! I went down to spray another helping of gasket remover, but decide to give it one more shot.

I used a 24" pry bar. One with a flat nail puller end on it.

I use the flat end against two protrusions on the front side of the cylinders at the mating surface. I used the top front motor mounts as fulcrums A couple of good pushes on the bar and the front edge let go.

I use a 3" block of wood as a fulcrum on the back side, right next to the oil pressure sender. I used the valve cover flange on the back of the cylinder in the center to pry on. Again a couple of good pushes and the back let go.

I rotated the crank, while lifting on the cylinders. The pistons (1 & 4) moving up pushed the cylinders up, while the pistons (2 & 3) slid down the bores.

Now I am off to try this technique on the other two engines.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

"What goes down, must come up"

Yeah, DennyZ, using the piston's movement to push the cylinder off is a good idea.
            Is a great help when all the pistons are rusted in place![IMG][/IMG]
            Of course, my crank wouldn't rotate nicely like yours did. I had to resort to the ol' "Hammer on the Piston's" method. 1 and 4 go down, 2 and 3 go up

(Yes, Andreas... I know you have extra pistons. Luckily, so do I)
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

LOL Pro...

"I seem to be having just a touch of blow-by on my number one cylinder... could you take a look at it?"

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own