Out of Sync?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Sync?

I've heard a lot about syncing your carbs to get optimum performance. Can anyone tell me some of the symptoms of a carb set being out of sync? BTW I have a 1980 XS1100 Special. Any help will be appreciated.

Symptoms of out - of - sync carbs:

Rough idling.

'hunting idle' - won't hold a steady rpm.

hesitation

bogging

one or more exhaust pipes off color.

backfiring through carbs.

popping on decelleration.

plugs color differs widely.

yadda, yadda

Comment

Yadda, yadda? Does that leave the door open for other possibilities? Is that for providing a sufficient amount of wishy-washyness? I am kidding of course.

Originally posted by randy
      Symptoms of out - of - sync carbs:

yadda, yadda
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Basically, if you do not know the last time it was sync'd, it most likely needs to be done. This is a fairly simple procedure that you can do yourself. The tool you need should cost less than the hour of shop time you would be charged if you took it to a dealer.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

get optimum performance

Before finding this site, went to local yam dealer for a manual. Wanted $65.00 , so just ordered a carb part I new that I needed. Got my 80G running, but w/issues.

Found this site, read the tech tips and one had mentioned using a vacuum gauge to sync carbs. By this time I had the 80G running pretty good. Made the gauge sync tool outa stuff found in my shop and tried it out.

Surprised how much better she runs, especially noticeable better throttle response.

mro

Comment

Skids,

Where carbs are concerned, the door is always open to other possibilities!

Oh, yeah, forgot another: YMMV

Comment

Working...
            X