Hard bags + turn signals = total confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard bags + turn signals = total confusion

Just installed my hard luggage on my XJ - had them lying around for a few months waiting for me to figure them out. Finally did and now I need to relocate the rear turn signals.

I have looked for other locations on the bike but have found no alternatives other than to fabricate new brackets for them. Any other ideas?
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

I have a factory chrome mount designed for the xs1100 baggers.Bolts onto the license plate holder and is designed to hold two standard xs1100 signals. andreashweiss@yahoo.com This will work if you do not mind the standard signals and your license plate bracket is low on the rear fender. andreas

Comment

Rubin,
      If you can't get the turn signals on, I'll take the bage from you, and then you don't have a problem.
      Or, you could go with andreas, and havew everything looking like stock!!
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Andreas,

Thanks for the offer!! Does the XS mount attach to the XJ in the same way? I would have to see it to check if it would fit. Do you have a pic by any chance?

Ray,

If I ever decide to get rid of them, I will let you know. Till then, I plan on duct taping or using bungee cords to keep them on, just so I can try them out on a road trip.
        1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
        1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Surface mount

Hi Rubin,
          buy Andreas' bracket or carefully save the stock signals, get two surface-mount turn signals from Canadian Tire and bolt them onto the rear surfaces of the hard bags.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Rubin, Andreas has the solution for you. It's a very nice mount, but, as he indicated, you will have square signals instead of round. Another option, one that I used, is to purchase a bracket made of spring steel, available from most bike shops. It mounts to your lic. bracket, just like the stock one does, and then your stock signals mount in each end. Not as nice looking as the stock on, but functional.

Send me a PM or an email. We can get together and I can show you what my mount looks like.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

I think I will check for a local shop first - I hate to use an original part from an XS on the XJ if I am not sure it will fit. At this point, I am all about functional.

xssiveone, I am usually in the US - work/goto school/swmbo all over there (over here at the moment). Ever get to ride the crazy freeways over there? Can be quite the challange, not to mention the bridge and border gaurds on an old XJ. Sometimes get great comments on the condition of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                xssiveone, I am usually in the US - work/goto school/swmbo all over there (over here at the moment). Ever get to ride the crazy freeways over there? Can be quite the challange, not to mention the bridge and border gaurds on an old XJ. Sometimes get great comments on the condition of it though.

Yes, I have had the dubious pleasure of riding on the Detroit freeway system(AKA Cowtrails) and they are certainly a challenge if nothing else. Never had a problem at the border tho, always treated me good. I've gone on a few rides over there.. pretty nice once you get out of the shadow of the Motor City. Pretty nice roads out towards Brighton and Whitford Lake.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                X