XS and HD don't mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS and HD don't mix

Yesterday, I went on a ride with some HD riders to an open house at a HD dealer. Once we FINALLY got going, (we had to make 3 stops for between 20 to 45 minutes each to pick everyone up), we got about 8 miles, and my electrical power quit. Wiggeling the accesable wires had no effect. After about 5 minutes, the power came back on. They talked me into continuing on with them. We got about another 6 miles, and the same thing happened. This time, once the power came back, I headed back home. I had no problems going home, and have had none before. After getting home, I pulled the seat and side covers. Checked all of the fuse connections, wiggeled every wire I could get at, and could not duplicate the proble. Do XS' do this when in the company of HD, or when heading to a HD dealer? Seriously, any suggestions?
    Highlander

My XS doesn't do it to me...and it's parked next to my HD. Now the Harley on the otherhand tends to get a little finiky when graced with the presence of my XS...lol. About your troubles though. I would go through all your connections, pull them, clean them, and add a little electrical greas to them. If you haven't already as well...look at an aftermarket fuse box ( I believe TopCat is selling some) or go with some inline fuses. Had that problem last year and it turned out to be bad connections in conjunction with the old tube style fuses.

Happy Trails bud
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Re: XS and HD don't mix

Clean the kill switch on the handlebar. Make sure that the ballast resistor isn't shorting out on the frame.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

fuse block and ballast resistor

Artic_rider
        There is already an after market fuse block installed. The only way I could duplicate the problem in the garage was to remove the main fuse, which is an inline fuse, seperate from the fuse block. I did clean and DI grease it's connection.

skids
        No ballast resister on the 81. Besides, I don't believe that would kill ALL power? The second time this happened was on a downgrade, so I had a lot of time to fiddle with the ignition switch and kill switch. Nothing, until the bike sat for about 5 minutes. I am thinking some kind of a heat problem. My HD friends don't ride as fast as I do. Something about the value of them wrecking their bike versus me wrecking mine. I thought all human bodies had the same value.
        Highlander

Comment

check/remove your tipover switch...
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Take that main fuse out again and see if you can yank one of its ends off. Those things are notorious for breaking that way, leaving you scratching your head when the working part of the fuse looks okay.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

A buddy's Special was doing something similar. Sometimes sitting for 5 minutes did the trick... sometimes it took days, but a new ignition switch helped him out for a while. He told me that when it happened to him at night alone on some twisties... it wasn't very fun.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm with ken, I still think there is a main fuse somewhere that is screwing with your mind...Maybe also check your ground? might be loose or something. I chucked in one of them star locking washers to ensure a good ground. Other then that...have a beer, it will all be clear
                80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Well, my vote is on the TIP OVER switch! It's a mercury filled switch IIRC. Wayne-Canuck during last years Philly Rally experienced an intermittent on/off problem. Randy=Electrical Guru suggested the TOswitch, he pulled it, and it worked just fine after that, made it back to the great white north and all!! But, it could be ALL that has been mentioned, main switch, kill switch!?
                  Good Luck!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TOS

I am starting to lean towards the tip over switch myself. I guess if the bike goes that far over, I have other issues to deal with other than whether the engine is still runninr or not.
                    Highlander

Comment

Replace the pesky main, glass fuse under the left cover. Had mine die, the fuse looked good. Trucked 'er home. Was about ready to dive into the wiring. Metered the glass main fuse, looked good but was no good, install new fuse, its fixed. Replaced OEM fuse holder with a ATC style in-line fuse holder. Ain't the simple fixes great. Course, could be tip over switch, ign switch. Replace the fuse holder anyway, its not if it will give you a problem, its when,
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

i was thinkin for a tempary crutch before a full blown fuse block swap , solder some alligator clips to both ends of a spade fuse holder, carry the 30,20 and 10 amps fuses, and use that as a jumper to circumvent the culprit circuit,in a emercency, i know if you are going throuh all the trouble, do the swap.

this may be good for more than just the fuses, what do you think topcat?
                        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Nice idea for an emergency repair. Much safer then my method of useing the foil from cigarette packs.

Only problem with it is that sometimes the fuse holders themselves are suspect. They get corroded and can be just "there" but not making contact. Of course, with the aligator clips you could bypass the fuse clips as well I guess.
                          Brian
                          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Check the plug on the ignition switch. The connectors here are notorious for corroding and burning up.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

It sounds dumb, but I had a loose battery connection that behaved a lot like this. The nut had come off the bolt, but the bolt was still through the eye on the end of the cable. It was on most of the time but would jostle loose on bumps.
                              1980 XS 1100 Standard
                              1980 XS 1100 Special
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Working...
                              X