Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think the tranny is gone.

Hi guys,

I was so proud of the XS11 but proud is sinking a bit.
    Took her out today, and as you know the bike I have hasn't been alive for five years now, warmed her up and drove her like she needed still braking in.
    After like 100 miles, I was in a traffic jam on the hiway. So Iwas passing a lot of cars, all fine in 2nd gear. When traffic started to clear, I was an the highway shoulder and was tryning to clear a last car. Put on the throtlle but at 5000 rpm she jumped out of 2nd gear and popped back in. Eased on the throttle and shifted in to third. No trouble at all. As soon as I was of the highway I tested second again, same problem. Popping out,in and out etc..
    Think I have to take look at the sprockets of second gear.

I know from my former bikes it has to do with the 4 teeth at the and of the sprocket and the foor holes of the next sprocket where it falls in. On the fomer bikes I used to weld them up with 85% nickel/tungsten. But then I new the exact hight of the sprocket teeth.

Anyone experiences welding up these teeth or onyone has the measurements on those teeth? (in 10th millimeters)

Do I need to take the cyls of to split the engine casing or can I keep it together to split it and remove the tranny ???

Thanks for reply,

The Dutchy
    Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Do a search here for "2nd gear fix". there are a lot of posts about it. Perhaps the best one is TC's repair tip though. Quite detailed.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=5090

The repair and maintenence sections have MANY other tips about the bikes as well. A must read.
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Copy the second gear fix...all is not lost, I am sure you will have this beast running flawlessly in no time
      80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Hey Dutchy,

There are several tech tips in the Repair section, and fortunately you don't have to split the cases to fix it!

Geez, you sound more like an Engineer, than a risk assessor? If you want to, and it sounds like you have the knowledge and equipment, go ahead and weld them back up, but then just grind/cut/machine a slight undercut pattern into the dogs and slots and you'll be good to go!! Sorry, don't have the thickness specs, but as you can see, from this technique that it's not terribly CRITICAL, just keep them all even, so that they all engage at the same time!!

Take a good look at 1st/4th while you're in there, cause it gets lots of wear as well, and much easier to do this repair once for all lower gears! My 1st went first, then 2nd shortly thereafter!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I never saw a non-cartridge gearbox that could be pulled without splitting the engine before. I can pull the box from my Hayabusa engine by splitting the cases with the upturned engine leaving the top-end intact, but this is even better still

Comment

Got her fixed.

Boy what a beautifull engine. Very easy to fix, allthough I was a bit hesitated geting it out. Welded the sprockets with nickel tungsten and undercut the teeth.
            Opened her up a second time to replace the shifter spring, now she is shifting like it should.

You are right T.C. on the technical part. My father is a Tool maker working for the automobile industry. At the site where he is working the have the most amazing tools to work on metal. Heck if you can make a complete car over there, why not fix your tranny in the late night shifts.

Many Thanks,

The Dutchy
            Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
            http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X