New old carbs...will they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old carbs...will they work?

Got some new carbs today, and my question is...

My old set up was with the Octuipuss, two petcocks, and my carbs only had two fuel connections...The new carbs I got today have four connections. between 1&2 there is one going to the floats...and there is another one about that. And then between 3&4 there is the same set up, with two connections. I went searching in the manual, and all the pictures they have in there, are of this four connection carb, but the diagram in there is of my older carbs, with only the two connections. So I am wondering...can I make this work guys?

Thanks...Artic_rider
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Hey Arctic Rider,

Stay cool! Yes, they will work just fine. The lower "T" fittings are for the fuel lines from your petcocks. The Upper "T's" are the float bowl VENTS, just "T" them together, and then stick a filter on the end of the lines to allow them to breath!!! DON'T CAP THEM OFF!!!!

Now, remember, that these older carbs are jetted differently, so don't go thinking that you need to put 110/120 main jets in there. They should have come with 137.5 mains, and that is correct, cause they share the fuel with the Pilots thru the connecting tunnel between the Main Tower and Pilot Jet Tower, just make sure they have that little tunnel, and the Pilot Jet Tower plugs/caps/screws!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You rock TC...One last question for you...would you recomend bypassing the Octo?

Comment

I did on mine ONLY because it wasn't working properly, and I didn't want to bother trying to repair or replace it! IF yours is working properly, then just leave it in line! But if your tests reveal that it isn't flowing properly, then bypass it!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Got the carbs, how did you like that chrome crash bar that was in the same box ? I always prefered the older style carbs seem to have to fuss less with them. Let me know how they look inside curious. andreas

Comment

yes i got the crash bar as well yesterday, minus a few nuts, but thats what the bolt bin at work is for. As far as the carbs go, not too bad, gave em a soak, and planning to fire them on tonight and try and fire it up. Thanks again andreas...

Comment

yes i got the crash bar as well yesterday, minus a few nuts, but thats what the bolt bin at work is for. As far as the carbs go, not too bad, gave em a soak, and planning to fire them on tonight and try and fire it up. Thanks again andreas...

Comment

I included in the box all the nuts and bolts to install the crash bar to top of frame.(u-bolt thing) I assumed you had the lower engine mount bolt and nuts. I put the ones I sent in a plastic food service glove. Did you not see it. andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Artic_rider
                  As far as the carbs go, not too bad, gave em a soak, and planning to fire them on tonight and try and fire it up. Thanks again andreas...
                  Hey Arctic Rider,

The above Underlined phrase has me a bit concerned! You do know NOT to soak the entire carb in carb cleaner, it will destroy the butterfly shaft seals, and cause a lean condition, possibly the same problem with your previous carbs??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

TC...I ment strip and soak...and then rebuild and fire it up, and get er done...soked em and rebuilt the carbs, and ya she fired after that...missing some nuts for the Ubolts there Andreas, but I improvised...all is well in artic land...hehehe

Comment

Working...
                    X