Utah XSives make your voice heard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah XSives make your voice heard...

Hi fellow XSives - was just wondering how many members are from Utah? I know a few of you and have met at least two of you.

I would like to talk about your jet settings, bike performance, elevation, and cool places to ride.

Not sure if this is the spot for this message but I'm sure it will get moved if not.

I mostly ride my bike around the Panguitch - Cedar City area of southern Utah. Elevations I ride at range between 3000-8000 feet, but most of my riding is at 5700 feet or 6700 feet. My bike is a stock 79sf except for a 4-1 exhaust like one size down on the mains.

The bike runs fair but I think it's always a bit rich.

I ran it in St. George and it ran a great deal better. I would like it to run that good all the time but don't want to run the risk of burning it up by jetting it too lean.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Does 37miles from state line count Ben?
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sure. ;-)

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hey Ben!

I've never messed with the jets on The Dark Horse, except during cleaning. She runs mostly good up here in northern Utah. I've ridden her up to Mirror Lake in the Uinta Mountains and she did fine at 10,000 feet. But she does run a little rich at home, about 4300 feet.

One of the highways I want to try is Hwy. 12 from your home town over to Torrey. I drove that a couple of years ago in my car with my family. All the time I was thinking how much fun that road would be on a bike.

I'll get down there again one of these days and do it. Want to come with me?

Another fun road is Hwy 35. Goes from Kamas over to Tabiona.

Still another, Take Logan Canyon, Hwy 89, up to Garden City/Bear Lake. Then come back through Randolf and Woodruff and turn West toward Monte Cristo. This takes you into Ogden Valley (Huntsville, Pineview Reservoir, etc.)

Utah is filled with great riding roads. Wish I had time to ride them all.

Bob
        Bob Udy

Comment

Bob, you're right about the good rodes to ride. What year was your XS? Stock setup and stock jets and it runs a bit rich at 4300?

Ben

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Well, close enough anyways. At 4800 here and carbs have 110 mains, 42.5 pilots, never rebuilt cept for setting float levels at 23mm. Runs good at any rpm range. Plugs show a slight black around thread base only which puts it a little rich. If it were'nt running so good, would drop floats to 25mm,(if it's not broke, don't fix it). Better a little rich than lean. As alot of you know, great riding here in the mountains of Colo. Being a 'native' of the state and having the best of both worlds here(some of Utah's great canyon roads and Colo.'s greatest mountain roads, plus alot of flat, flat out for as far as the eye can see) sometimes take for granite what others 'trailer queen' there bikes from great distances to be able to ride without the traffic conjestion.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well I wish I could help you, but I'm in the middle of rebuilding my bike. As far as I know I was running stock jets, with Harley mufflers, and it was running a bit rich at 5000ft. I'll be running the stock jets with a Mac 4into2 with turnouts if I ever get my exhaust back from ceramic coating. I'll let you know what the outcome is.
              1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

There are more of us.... where's griff?

Ben

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
                  Bob, you're right about the good rodes to ride. What year was your XS? Stock setup and stock jets and it runs a bit rich at 4300?

Ben
                  1980 Special (SG)

I left everything as it was during the recent carb cleaning. I really didn't pay attention to what size the jets were. Just took them out cleaned them and re-installed.

Best guess about the exhaust system is it's a Kirker. Four into one. Same one that was on it when I purchased the bike.

The spark plugs do show a little black but not real bad. I just clean them once in a while and go ride some more.

Bob
                  Bob Udy

Comment

Working...
                  X