Gas tank gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank gasket

Does anybody know of a cheap source for a replacement gas tank gasket? Mine is brittle and cracked all over and doesn't hold a seal. The dealer wants $59 for the whole gas cap assembly. The junkyard has plenty but all the 78-81 xs models are just as old as mine (or older) and the gaskets on them are just as brittle and cracked as the one I have.

The best idea I have come up with is to find a newer model of bike that used the same gasket. Then I could find a junker of that model and relieve it of its tank gasket.

The next best idea I have is to try to smear a fuel-proof silicone all over my exisiting gasket. I havent' tried it yet but I suspect it is not going to be a good long-term fix.

Reeking of gasoline and afraid to smoke near the bike,
    Mr. Jake

www.bikebandit.com lists part number 24645 @$9.88.

www.650motorcycles.com/mikesxs.html has gas tank seals as part number 20-0036 @$3.00 and is in stock. This place sells parts for XS650s but it looks the same to me. I have a 650 and an 1100.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Blane Hoopes (there is that name again) once told me that you can use a rubber sink drain gasket, or did he say plumbing gasket? Well, I had one in my plumbing supply box and have been using it on a standard for quite some time. They stay on and no glue is required.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanx

That is exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to hear.

Thanks,

Mr. Jake

Comment

Working...
        X