xs11 versus kz1000...newbe questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11 versus kz1000...newbe questions

Hey Fellas...first off, my questions are not to start a flame war or anything...I am a total newbe, never having owned a classic bike.

For about the last year or so, I have been toying with the idea of getting a classic mid-seventies super bike...somehow, I got turned on to the idea of a kz1000...I don't know anybody with one just stuff i read online.

The thing I keep coming back to, is that anyone who has one of these, wants a kings ransom for it...not only that, they have restored it or half-ass restored it which takes the enjoyment out of the project for me....I want to be the one restoring.

Anyway, last night I was looking online and at craigslist.com...saw somebody had a xs11 and I went googling

10-15 mins later, on ebay, I see that these bikes (xs11's) apear to cost a little less and might be more plentiful than the kz bikes???...I understand I may be completely wrong here..hence, my posting. Is my thinking correct in this regard?

I searched the forums here and see kz's are mentioned from time to time, so I know some of you are familiar with them.

Here's a couple questions I had:

1. How to kz's compare to xs and xj bikes?
    2. Are parts easier to find and aquire?
    3. Is performance roughly about the same for these tweo bikes?
    4. How about dependability? Roughly the same?
    5. If you knew what you do today, back when you did your first project bike, what advice would you give yourself...(me)?

Sorry for stupid questions, just not really sure where else to turn for advice.

Thanks for your patience and any guidance you can offer.

Mike
    Last edited by mismith356; 04-09-2006, 10:26 AM.

read the articles in this site and by default the xs1100 xsedes in performance in many fronts, and reigned supreme for the time it was available
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Mike,
      Both bike have their problems, and both have their good points. I like the low end pull of the XS1100, and well as the bulletproof bottom end. I've fixed a crank or two on KZ's, as the early ones were pressed together like a two stroke. The weak link on the Yamaha is the transmission, and it's a MUCH easier and cheaper fix.
      Just my opinion.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Mike,

I have a buddy with a KZ. I have been looking for a motor for 2 months for him now... and like you say.... it is slim pickins. When you finally do see one, they want new price for it. I am no motorcycle pro by any means, but I have heard that 50 or 60K miles on the KZ and they are wore out. There are several people on here with over 100K on their XS/XJ's and going strong. I also found a complete motor for my XJ for 130 bucks... over half price of KZ's STARTING prices I have seen. Plus... KZ's don't have near the expertise in the forum as this site has (OK.. may be prejudice on that one).
        You can find just about anything for them on Ebay still... and if not, just ask Andreaweise (SP?) on here. He'll have 3 of everything you need! Good luck.

Tod

PS... what did you think? You were going to come to an XS site and we tell you to get a KZ??
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Kay Zee... I'm Kay Zee for feelin' so lonely."

Sorry... I shouldn't listen to old Patsy Cline Cds in the morning.
          KZ1000 vs XS1100.... Hhmmm?
          No mistake about it, a lot of people like them. Have two in the shop right now and another coming in next week for carb work. (Unfortunetely, the only Yamaha I ever see at work is mine)
          They're fine bikes, but after having ridden many on test rides and such, I'll stick with the XS1100.
          Nothing specific... but I don't like lubing chains every coupl'a hunnerd miles, nor having to adjust them, nor having to replace sprockets, etc. I do that enough at work, and I'll be damned if I have to then come home and do the same on a bike of mine.
          Get an 1100... This web site is much more friendly than KZRIDER
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

the perfect question i have both and they are both fantastic bikes i personally prefer the kz. other than a whole motor most of the parts have been cheaper on the kz and if you want a drag bike the shaft drive is a lot harder to stretch. if you just want to ride long trips get the xs far less maintenance on the shaft than a chain. the shaft lifts you on hard acceleration and the chain squats. if you choose the xs this is the worlds best resource, if you choose a kz then the worlds best kawi ppl are at kzrider.com

im a member of both
            79 xs1100 standard
            76 kz900 <now 1015
            Terry Meyer

Comment

I am trying to get a buddies '77 kz1000 running and what a pain in the ass. It is a lot lighter than my xs. But the more I work on it the more I dislike it. They just aren't engineered as well. Little things like what the hell they used phillips insted of allen screws, an points insted of an electronic system, and don't get me started on those damn smooth bore carbs On the test rides I've taken, it is no where as smooth as my xs. But, if the thing ran right I might have a different opinion. The one thing about the kz's is that if you have the $, there are tons of available parts.When it comes to the forums, there is NO contest. This site is WAY better. Maybe because this site is so model specific, just xs/xj 11s, where as kzrider covers all the kzs (and there are a lot). Just my opinion.
              Last edited by 81xsproject; 04-09-2006, 12:17 PM.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate the replies, honesty and condor.

Knew the answers would be somewhat in favor of the xs and xj... To be expected though really...like going to chevy and asking if the like a ford.

Even so, its all good info.

I am still left with the impression that the xs11 might be had at a cheaper entry price point than a kz.

Now to find one i can afford :-D

Thanks Again Fellas!

Comment

Just watch crags list and ebay, it won't take too long
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well... XSes are XSive... everything about them is BIG... it would take quite some time to find a small part on the XS. I like it that way... Nice project bike... But I miss a v2. But thats off topic.
                    I saw some nice Z1000 police bikes on ebay. Prices are.... higher than XS, but they did fewer miles and you can find yourself a really nice one. I like the looks of a police Z. But thats just me. If youre going 70s.... hmm... XS is an XSellent choice, KZ... maybe the older round gas tank models, or a LTD.
                    But if I wanted another 70s project bike... and it had to be a rice burner... CBX 1000, no doubt about it. A bit expencive tho. But I love that exhaust note of a straight six. If you want "easy" restoration and scare the kids on modern crotch rocket, get the XS, if you want it mad max, go Z, if you want something that sounds like an F16 and something that turns heads, get the CBX, if you want fun, excitement and shere terror, get a guzzi LeMans (easiest to work on), if you just want to ride, get a new(ish) bike.

LP
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Thanks Strom

I have a ride...an 04 1100 vstar classic

I am looking for a project and something special I can tinker with.

On my vstar, I've done a jet kit, pod filter BAK, full 2 3/4 exhaust, seat, bags, windshield, sissy bar...the normal stuff mostly put really want something more challenging.

Not familar with the CBX though...I am gonna google around and see what I can find out about it...this way, if I come upon a bike for a decent price, I can be a bit more flexible in the brand/make.

Comment

Working...
                      X