Low RPM hesitation & clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low RPM hesitation & clutch cable

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier question re: 78XSE sputters when pulling at less than 3K RPM. First thing I did was pull the plugs & they had carbon build up galore. After 6K miles on these plugs I really didn't expect the plugs to be so crappy, but I guess that little oil it's using (after 50K miles) is causing crud. New plugs and the thing runs like new -- pulls all the way up from idle.

The bad news is the clutch cable busted during the shakedown cruise. Far as I can remember it's the orig & when the cable was pulled out of the housing it was apparent why it busted -- rust city.

Are there cables available that I can put back into the housing then crimp an end on or do I need the whole housing and cable. Being a holiday the local shop is closed & I would be suprised if they had the cable/housing anyways. What's the best way to get a replacement??

BTW, drained the carb bowls and pulled the petcocks looking for sediment -- again I think for the 1st time since new and everything was clean as a whistle. Next time I do this (2026) I'll do it when the tank is nearly empty instead of full.
    Bob

Re: Clutch cable replacement

buggrin wrote:
    The bad news is the clutch cable busted during the shakedown cruise. Are there cables available that I can put back into the housing then crimp an end on or do I need the whole housing and cable. Being a holiday the local shop is closed & I would be suprised if they had the cable/housing anyways. What's the best way to get a replacement??
    Motion Pro replacement clutch cables are available for $9.99 from Dennis Kirk. (Orders over $50 are shipped free). Check them out online at http://www.denniskirk.com, or by phone through their printed catalog (1-800-328-9280). If you don't have one of their catalogs, GET ONE! They're the most complete general catalog for aftermarket motorcycle stuff and... they're free!
    Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

New clutch cable = happy shifting

Lo and behold the local shop had a "genuine Yahama" cable for 17 bucks. I wired the bottom end of the new one to the top end of the old one, wrapped electric tape around the connection, and pulled the new one into place which saved pulling off the seat and tank (no tanks).

Shifts are sooo much easier now that I've got to relearn the technique to make smooth shifts. Practically like riding a new bike with the new plugs working so good for 20 bucks!
      Bob

Comment

Working...
      X