Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops - broke carb float pin post...

Whoops - broke carb float pin post...

Can it be repaired or should I just use a spare carb from a spare rack?

I was pondering on getting a set of 80 carbs for my 79sf because of better diaphragm availability... ??

I have a spare set of 78e carbs I think, wonder if I can use one of them...

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Ben, my best-runnin' bike has a broken goal post. No biggie if the pin is held tight by one end.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Did you leave in the broken fragment or just let the float pin rest through the one side?

Ben

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Whatever floats your post!?

Hey Ben,

I had a broken post on my #2 carb, fixed it with Magna-Steel type stuff from auto store, held just fine, but I got the post and pin at a slight angle and it caused intermittent sticking and flooding. I finally pulled it apart, cleaned it up and fixed it LEVEL with J-B Weld. It's held for 2 years now, and no more flooding!

You can build up around the broken area of the post, and then file/grind it down once it cures to allow for the float bowl to fit, it's a snug area there!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wondered about that but wasn't sure if it would hold while constantly submerged in gas. I will try that and use a new pin, since the current one is bent.

Ben

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

.. ever since I received my KT pin press from Ken Talbot I have not had any problems removing my stuck float pins.. it was so much fun to use, now i have 10 racks of carbs laying around in piles all over the place.. now if he could come up with a tool that would get me to actualy finish a project (like a boot in the @ss), i would buy one of those too.

Comment

Glad to hear a report about the Pin Press. Prometheus was the only other that gave info in org. thread.

Comment

.. i think $10 bucks is a cracker jack price also. but only us really cool guy's have one, so if you are not cool then dont bother getting one

Comment

Oh boy... you have to make a plan!

Originally posted by GNEPIG
                  .. ever since I received my KT pin press from Ken Talbot I have not had any problems removing my stuck float pins.. it was so much fun to use, now i have 10 racks of carbs laying around
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"Carb Boot?"

now if he could come up with a tool that would get me to actualy finish a project (like a boot in the @ss), i would buy one of those too.
                    No need to buy one of those, GNEPIG, I'll boot you in the a$$ fer free!
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I never heard anything about a pin press...

Formerly:
                      1982 XS650
                      1980 XS1100g
                      1979 XS1100sf
                      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

To answer this from some time ago (oops), Yes, I just left it pinned from one side. It is rigid enough.

Originally posted by ae7f
                        Did you leave in the broken fragment or just let the float pin rest through the one side?

Ben
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

AE7F - have a look at the stuck float pin thread.....
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Ken

If you need to make any more of the pointy parts for your press found you can make them in seconds using a die grinder w/cut off wheel instead of a file.

mro

Comment

Good idea there, MRO. I did find that running the drill press at its highest speed while applying the file also made that phase much quicker.
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                              X