Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SShe won't run (PITA)

Okay all,
    I just got to the end of the tunnel and my 80 special is on the home stretch. I got her all put back together and shhe won't start. Now I feel a little out of my element. I smell fuel but I can't determine where it's comming from. She backfires. I replaced the coils and had a shop time her according to the clymer manual. The plugs are gapped properly but she won't run for me... I have a freind that works on the old japanese bikes so I am considering taking her to him but if anyone can shed light on my baby's issue could you let me know?
    Thanks
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

scappod,

By any chance did you have the advance mechanism apart? It is possible to re-install the reluctor 180 degrees out of phase. Don't ask me how I know!

Comment

No I didn't take it apart, I was wondering if my clymer manual has the timinng wrong. It may even be a simple as a vacuum tube being wrong too right?
      Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

No, it should still run even with the vacuum lines off.

Next I'd look at the coil primary connections. Maybe you have them swapped? Orange is for the 1-4 and gray is for the 2-3. Or, you could just swap the plug leads, same difference.

Also make sure you battery is freshly charged, or jump it from a car. Just don't overwork the starter motor. Let it rest between attempts to start.

Comment

Working...
        X