Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance upgrade? Bang for Buck?

Dear Forum?
    I have installed the K&N Filter in the Air box of my 79 xs 11 special..What is the best performance upgrade I can do for the money? Is it coils...additives....exhaust...jetting...etc...I checked into the tkat brace and the manufacturer says a waiting period of a month or so to get an order in. I will get one when available.but would like some more power out of the old xs..please give some experiences of power and price etc.
    Thanks
    Shack:
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Clean your carbs & balance the floats. Then sync your carbs.

Cleaning may take several attempts since there could be years of stubborn crud. You will NOT believe the difference it makes.

Comment

Performance Bang For Buck

Great advice..fortunately the previous owner did just that before he sold it to me...she pulls hard all the way to 8500 and never misses a beat...but I was curious what the best next step would be for her..does anyone have the stats on Horsepower the coil upgrade mAkes and what brands are the best for xs11 specials?
      thanks
      Shack
      Shack
      Oct 02
      3176 miles

Comment

Okay then, define performance.

Comment

That's just it, Shack, nobody seems to have any dyno charts to back up any performance claims!!

There is no cheap big increase in horsepower for the xs11, Yamaha was squeezing pretty much what they could out of it.

If your coils work, a spark that's maybe a tad hotter might give some tiny measurable amount of hp increase, but I don't see why it would make sense to spend money for coils if your stocks ones are working. If your plugs are tan (not moist black), you're getting enough spark, most likely.

It's widely held that the K&N filter (with additional holes in the airbox), or indivdual filters, along with a 4-into-1 header and free-flowing muffler will buy you a few hp.

In spite of lack of hard evidence, it only stands to reason that if you increase your airflow enough to require re-jetting by 3 sizes or more, you are getting more mixture to burn, and therefore more power. But it isn't a lot more power. Several other threads have talked about this in one way or another, do a search for 'rejetting', 'individual AND filters', etc?

If you are bound and determined to get some more power on a budget, try this: first, go run your bike on a dyno. Then, have your head milled .010-020, re-tune if necessary, and re-visit the dyno. That should get you safely up to 10.5-11:1 compression, and some power gain. How much? I have no idea! You tell us!!

If you want more power, from your XS that is, then going with the big bore kit will definitely buy you some - anyone know how much more?

Hey, will one of you big-bore kit guys please go stick your bike on a dyno and post the printout??

Yamaha claimed 95hp I believe, but that was hp at the crank, not rwhp (chassis dyno). I've seen a few xs's on the dyno at a 'free dyno run' day, the ones I saw made 85hp. (Seems about right, a 10% loss in the drive train). Consider that there are many bikes with well over 100hp stock that also weigh a lot less than an xs - if you really want a lot more power, look into another bike

Most bang for your buck? How about $6000 - $3000 for a used bandit, $3000 for a Mr. Turbo kit for it - that will buy you 230 - 270rwhp!!!!
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike is pretty much right, there are a lot of things you can do for a little bit of HP, but the only two things I can thing of that would make a real difference are a big bore kit (Wisco make these) and the holy grail of XSdom:

TURBO!
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

My 81 special pulled 98.6 hp. at the back wheel.
              with a K&N in the stock air box and a jardine 4 into 2 system . Other than that it was stock and well tuned.

Comment

Dusty,
                Thanks for the dyno info...Do you have the torque specs and rpm @ max torque and horsepower. 98.6 is great I think my 79 xs is going to be real close to that figure..Did you notice a difference you could feel from the seat with Jardine exhaust over stock..my bike has stock 4 into 2...What did it cost to dyno your bike? Thanx for your input.
                Shack
                Shack
                Oct 02
                3176 miles

Comment

Performance Defined

Dear JP,
                  Performance to me is:" Anything that makes your bike feel different for the better such as peppiness through the rpm range,could be handling or anything that adds to the enjoyment of the ride. Of course this is not a discertation on the performance definition but it sounds like what I am trying to achieve for my satisfaction quotiant. The need for "Adrenaline" rush is why I need more performance....don't we all?
                  Shack
                  Shack
                  Oct 02
                  3176 miles

Comment

Dear Mike,
                    Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you have had your bandit dyno tested. you can e-mail personally if this is the wrong place to post that info. I am not sure where I can get my bike tested here in east TX maybe someone could give me a name of a place? I am contemplating another bike but for now I will try to make a few changes to the xs..
                    Shack
                    Shack
                    Oct 02
                    3176 miles

Comment

What is a bandit?

I think it would be safe to say I have a thing for XS11's. I own 3 now. 79 Standard (not running but complete) 80 Mid. Spec. (not running but complete) 81 Special (running, ridden daily when I am home). I have also owned several other XS11's over the last 20 years. My first and favorite was stolen in Colorada about 20 years ago maybe that is I keep trying to find another one that makes me feel the same way. I guess I slipped off the subject, I hever never heard of a bandit before. Is it a special version of a XS or a kit or a different bike entirely?!?!?!

Comment

A Bandit in this case is a Suzuki Bandit 1200, check out the following thread for more info:

Greatest Bike in the World, really way better than some 20+ year old clunker......
                        Gary Granger

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
                          Greatest Bike in the World, really way better than some 20+ year old clunker......
                          ...20+ year old clunker... Are you referring to our beloved XS11? As to greatest bike in the world, I know some FZ1 owners that would gladly debate that point.
                          Robert
                          79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Haller

...20+ year old clunker... Are you referring to our beloved XS11? As to greatest bike in the world, I know some FZ1 owners that would gladly debate that point.
                            LOL.....BAHAHAHA, hey I got one! Just wanted to see if anybody was reading the postings!

BTW, FZ1 is nice if you like your power higher in the rev range, I like mine right off idle....
                            Gary Granger

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sixtysix

LOL.....BAHAHAHA, hey I got one! Just wanted to see if anybody was reading the postings!

LOL....you got me! I got a good laugh from that.
                              Robert
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X