Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 carbs on a 79

Hi,
    I'm back again with a new weekend project lol.
    Will the carbs off a 78 work on a 79 xs1100F (standard)
    My clymer manual says the jets are all the same but a little research on the site tells me different. What's the worst that could happen using the bigger pilot and starter jets if that's the only difference. I'm not sure about the mains. I do have 4 into 2 after market pipes the ones that dump out the side and a k&n filter in the air box. Just don't want to blow anything up lol.
    Thanks guys

.. i would say try them. put the 78 carbs on, make your idle adjustments and take it for a ride. if it runs good and your plug colors look good then they work.
    . the differences between the carbs of those two years are very small if any, and they will not blow your bike up, unless the insides are all craped up, then the bike will not run.

Comment

Thanks GNEPIG
      I'll give it a try.
      Figured I'd run it by you guys first.

Comment

I have seen the info that 78 carbs use 45 pilot jets. I have two 78's that were stock (unless the PO was dumb enough to use that ultrat loc-tite stuff during reassembly) and they both had 42.5 pilots.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

That's what the Clymer manual says 42.5 but I heard they were not always accurate.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X