Tank Lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Lining

I know this has probably been talked about before but, I've got to line the tank on my XS11. I've seen enough bad stories to kind of rule out Kreem. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with Caswell's or POR15. It's a Standard so it has the recessed fuel filler and the drain line that runs through the tank has leak from the tank into the drain line (I've been running it with a rubber cap plugging the line) So I'm hoping For the lining to plug that leak. Has anybody used either or both of them and can make recommendation
    Russ Neal
    Milton, NH
    04 GL1800 ABS
    04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
    99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
    80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
    83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
    80 XS1100G(Sold)
    81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

I have a macho maroon 78 e standard tank in pretty good condition. No key,if you do not need petcocks or sending unit you can have mine pretty cheap. It is from a desert area less than 10 inches rain a yr no humidity. It needs a good cleaning has had old fuel in it for years. But not rusted out, Figure $30.00 for shipping $30.00 for tank andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

I used Caswells on my E 3-4 years ago and have had no problems. I have another dose of Caswells for the 6.5 gal tank but haven't gotten around to lining, sanding, painting that tank.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Have used POR-15 with good results, takes about 5 days to cure, and if you have pin holes you need to paint some on the outside of the tank since it takes 5 days to cure and once you open the can you have to use it all, since it draws moisture it cant be used after the first day.
        I had pinholes and didnt know to paint some over them on the outside, so I just took some fiberglass and went over them on the outside, but as far as the sealing of the tank it worked great, no problems at all for my XJ tank.
        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

I like the caswells...and prep is not so much work...

I've used it with great results on several occasions.
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

tank liner

the best I have ever used is johnsons tank liner. i just completed a tank with quite a few pin holes. Now has absolutely no leaks. This brand uses a new polymer that dries quickly and after curing has great flexibilty, It is a polyethylene polymer I suspect, because not even straight alcohol can deteriorate it. The quart size will do 2 xs11 tanks. part # 238-01. also I use a mixture of citric acid to h20 down to 3 pH. this will remove rust down to the shiny metal without causing any residual rusting. AND IS VERY SAFE, rather than using HCl.
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

How long has it been since you've used the Johnson's I really only want to do this once.
              Russ Neal
              Milton, NH
              04 GL1800 ABS
              04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
              99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
              80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
              83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
              80 XS1100G(Sold)
              81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

last week

really. This tank was real crap. after you clean the iside of the tank real well,then do the coating, you can close up the unused liquid for another day. if you only have light rust inside the tank, you can clean it with phosphoric acid (naval jelly), it leaves a blackish colored coat inside the tank that won't rust anymore, then you coat with the johnsons....chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                X