xs1100 keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 keys

Anyone know where I could find new Yamaha uncut key blanks (plastic on the end type)? I want to stay original. Also, would a guy need to go to a key shop to cut the new key?
    DEW
    One Red "Creation 1"
    One Black"Creation 2"
    One Black"Creation 3"
    One ???? "Creation 4"
    One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

Keys and blanks CAN be had from Yamaha. They are NOT cheap, but can be had. Just go to your local Yamaha shop with your key code, and they should be able to get a key in for you.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

is it possible to have Wally World cut new ones, without the yamaha logo's and such of course. I just need a spare incase I lose one.
      Bauer
      1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
      Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
      1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
      Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

The problem is the blank. Most places don't have them, unless they are a full blown locksmith. The blanks cost the locksmith almost $10.00!!
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

locksmith

i just had a key made for a lock i had no key for. i took the ignition switch for the new bike i got he made a nice rubber ended stock looking key for 20.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I guess I was lucky, I went to a local locksmith and he had blanks, with Yamaha stamped on them, made duplicates for me for $2.95 each. They are solid metal though, not the plastic on top.

I tried EVERY Yamaha shop listed in the phone book in San Antonio, none carried blanks, 1 place said I could "special order" blanks, but they all said that Yamaha doesn't carry the "numbered" keys anymore and if I didn't have the original, they would sell me a replacement ignition switch (again, a special order item) and couldn't help me with the other locks (tank, helmet holder, etc.). Maybe San Antonio is just not old bike friendly, maybe other places have better support for older bikes, around here "they" have almost nothing for anything over 5 years old.
            "DuctTape"

- XS1100E (Project: Has a long way to go)
            - 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800P
            Two Lane Road Riders Association
            Southern Cruisers
            TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

Your right about alot of shops not being old bike friendly. Hell, I hit up a shop in Albuquerque for some parts. The young pup behind the counter told me "I have no record showing for a XS11". I told him I can show him a "no record" outside. The veteran service manager had to straighten him out.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I believe that Suzuki uses the same blank as Yamaha does. It's been a few years since the locksmith cut my keys, but I'm pretty sure that is what he said.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

Guess I got lucky too!

My bro-in-law and I got keys for my XJ and his kaw at an old hardware store (no rubber-all metal) he had blanks that fit em both, I think about $2.00 apiece.
                  '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                  X