Leakin oil. A lot of Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leakin oil. A lot of Oil

So I just got my H back after a blown engine last August. After a lot of around town cruising, I finially took it on a longer ride, just down to Kenosha (About a 45 minute freeway ride.) Since this stretch of freeway connects Milwaukee and Chicago, while the posted limit is 65, the actual speeds are closer to 80.

The bike seemed to run fine, until I exited. When I put my left foot down, it was like stepping on a oil slick. Looking down, and the pavement was dry, my boot was covered.

Great, I thought, another engine, and I just got this one.

But the bike was running fine, smooth, and so I pulled into the next gas station, wiped off the oil, added some more (The window was still empty, even after sitting a bit), and restarted the bike.

Oil started leaking from this dark bolt on the bottom of the engine;

Now, I am thinking this is one of those bolts that holds the bottom of the engine on. I am hoping you guys can tell me that I just have to pull out that one bolt, replace a crush washer or rubber seal or something (Even better if that something is available at a hardware store, rather than having to wait on a shop to get it in), put the bolt back in and be good to go.

I don't want to hear anything about pulling out the engine again. But it that what has to happen...?

I have a longer trip planned in a couple weeks, and if this leaking persists, with the other xs still under repair (Electrical gremlins. Don't you hate those), I might have to take the (sigh).....beemer.

HELP!!!!!
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

It is an O ring that seals it. That is a plug for the oil galley that supplies the main bearings. You may be able to get one at an auto parts store. Just pull the bolt out, and take the whole thing with youto match up a new O ring. There won't be any kind of major oil leaking when you pull the bolt, but have a drain pan handy. There's only pressurized oil there when the engine is running.

Comment

On further review...

I should have asked... are you talking about the large hex head bolt under the ignition cover, or one of the allen head bolts on the bottom of the engine?

Comment

Hmm, I guess I really didn't think about how many little bolts there were in that photo, and when I tried to edit it with an arrow, I could reupload the pic.

I mean the bolt that is perpendicular to the ground, with the dark head eposed in the photo.

Oil only leaked when the bike was running.
        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

What a Drip!

Hey Pain,

That bolt is #9 in the clymers, it's one of the 10 main bolts that hold the crankcase and the crank bearings halves together, it's 8mm diameter, 115mm long, and requires 17.4 ft lbs torque. The manual states that there is a washer under the head of the bolt, but doesn't desribe it as a sealing washer!!

We(John and I) still think that you are seeing oil dripping down from the galley plug that is on the side facing you, just to the rear of that bolt, at the bottom of the timing plate chamber! As you said, it only leaked when the engine was running. That galley bolt and it's O-ring won't leak much until the engine is running, and is probably leaking out behind the head of that galley plug, and onto the case, and to that bolt!! You can check the torque of that #9 bolt, but you'll probably find it right! Fix that galley plug Oring, and you'll probably solve your leak!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys. You rocks.

I know from a phone converstation with my mechanic (who just restalled this engine after going over it. I am a 20k+ a year guy, and he knows I hate to break down. He wanted to know this engine was good before installing it), that there were copper crush washers with the crankcase bolts. And I watching it drip from that bolt (the more forwards on) in a gas station parking lot.

That said, I am going to pull out both, and go part hunting tomorrow. Better safe than broke down inthe middle of nowhere.

I will post an update, next day or two.

Comment

I tend to agree with TC and John. If the drip was only down in the bottom center of your bike, how would oil get on your boot? I just went through the galley plug/ Crank bearing seal route, and that oil dripping from the weep hole at the bottom of the alternator cover was where I would get the oil on my boot and brake pedal. (And underside of my bike). Good luck Pain.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I am on my work computer the firewall allows no pictures so I am not yet clear on where your oil leak is coming from . I am sure I have what you need in my massive pile of engine nuts/bolts.etc. I will take a guess that you need a bolt (made of alum) has an oil seal inside it and it bolts up on lower engine case on left side under or near the pickup coil cover? I got one. andreas

Comment

Still Leaking.

I pulled both the casing bolt, and the galley plug. You are all right, it seems the only place the oil could be coming from is the plug, but I replaced the washer, and the o-ring, and put it all back together (Bearings inc, btw, is where I got the O-Ring. Great people there, and they threw in extras for free. Actually, they gave me all of them for free. If you are in SE WI or NE IL, I have to recommend them).

Seems to be fine around town, but as soon as I got on the Interstate and openned the throttle, the oil started to leak again.

The leak doesn't seem all that bad, there has been no detectable change in my oil level window, but the coating of my boot is a problem.

Anyother ideas before I send it back to the Shop?

Comment

What a PAIN!!

Hey Pain,

I feel your pain!! Sounds like it might be the crankshaft seal on that side!! It'll drip down inside the timing casing and then down around that galley bolt, and eventually out! There have been recent posts about replacing these seals, no need to split the engine cases, can be pressed in!! That's my guess!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You know, Pain, the other day I put my foot down and noticed it was slippery, but thought nothing of it, figuring it was something on the road. After looking at your post I went and checked out my bike and sure enough there is oil on one of my bolts, not the front one like yours, but the back one. It doesn't look like it's been dripping but just wet with oil. I don't see any signs of a leak from the horizontal plug though. Mine looks like it could be coming from inside the side cover. I'll wipe it down good and check it out the next time I ride.

I swear, these bikes won't even go 25 years without oozing something.
                      Jake Haynie

81 xs1100lh

Comment

Re: What a PAIN!!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                        Hey Pain,

I feel your pain!! Sounds like it might be the crankshaft seal on that side!! It'll drip down inside the timing casing and then down around that galley bolt, and eventually out! There have been recent posts about replacing these seals, no need to split the engine cases, can be pressed in!! That's my guess!?
                        T.C.
                        I removed the side cover, and there is oil gunk inside there, so I guess this is my next step. And I found the old post, so I just need to find some time.

Thanks. This place rocks.

Comment

Working...
                        X