It ain't the bulb........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't the bulb........

so where should I begin to look for the reason my neutral light quit working? It was intermittant for awhile and then just quit altogether. If this has been covered before I apologize for asking and if you tell me it's in the neutral switch, well, I can't find that either. All I know is this.........it ain't the bulb.

Thanks y'all,
    Jake Haynie

81 xs1100lh

"I'd rather fight, than switch."

Neuter switch should be up under the frame, sort of, left side o' engine, down by the kickstand area. Has one wire coming out o' it. (mine leaks... that's how I know where it is!)
    Check that the wire is tight... and check all harness connections that it travels in.
    Hhmmm.. of course, you could disconnect the wire, ground it, and see if the light comes on then. Then you've got a loopy switch.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ding dong, the switch is dead?

Jake,

A little better location description, the switch is in the shifter cover, bottom forward end of it, follow the wires and you'll find it! Like Prom said, it just completes the circuit to ground, so pull the wire off and ground it to the frame with the key on, and the bulb should light! If not, then you've got some more research to do, like ensuring that you're getting 12 volts TO the bulb, check the continuity of the wire from the bulb to the switch!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks fella's, but are you saying I have to take the shifter cover off to access the switch?
        Jake Haynie

81 xs1100lh

Comment

no, it's outside the cover, below the shifter and cover, on the case
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ok, found it! I grounded the wire and the light came on, so I ordered a new switch. Thanks everybody.
            Jake Haynie

81 xs1100lh

Comment

In case anyone else needs one of those nuetral safetly switch I got several. $2.00 price includes shipping. andreas

Comment

So what could be wrong with the switch/wiring if it stays on all the time and its not in neutral?
                DEW
                One Red "Creation 1"
                One Black"Creation 2"
                One Black"Creation 3"
                One ???? "Creation 4"
                One ???? "Creation 5"
                One ???? "Parts Bike"
                All the above 1100 Specials
                78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                1980 Midnight Special
                1978 650 SE

Comment

Dew,
                  The switch or wire is grounded to the frame. You can use a VOM ( volt ohm meter) to check the wire and switch. If you disconnect the wire from the switch, check the resistance from the wire connection to frame ground. If no or very low resistance, switch is bad.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

&quot;Go to your room... you're grounded!&quot;

Check your wiring. The wire could be rubbed open somewhere and grounding to the frame, providing a ground for the light to go on. Unscrew the wire from the switch. If the light goes out, then it's the switch is behaving badly and needs to be punished. If the light stays on... then the wire is grounding somewhere.
                    If a neutral light doesn't do what it's supposed to do, then you should ground it... or at least take away it's allowance.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                    X