Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter fairing

Hi guys... another thingie....
    I got a used vetter fairing on ebay... with lowers, for XS11.
    The thing is... I had to tilt it a bit forward to make it fit... so whoever did the mounts, he made sure it fit the xs, but never tried it on... the holes for mounting the fairing were off, had to drill new ones.. and set it back a bit. Anyway, the thing is, I got some turbulence around the helmet, and I don't like it. Happens around 40-50 mph.... annoying really and defies everything these things were made for. Any ideas?
    Heres a photo...
    http://www.motosvet.com/tabla/index....=post&id=65831

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Jimmy Buffet=good; Wind buffet=BAD!

Hey Strom,

I can't remember how tall you are, but if you sit fairly tall in the saddle, then you may want to look into getting a slightly taller iwndshield. I did a search on "buffeting" and found a thread called "sad, sad, sad", and they talked about being able to get replacement taller shields for around $50.00 or so!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have a 80g with the same fairing and I to get some buffetting. Couple of ways to cure this. First, you can get a taller windshield, you can buy them or you can get a piece of Lexan and cut your own using a jig saw and some patience. Your old shield can be used as a template. You have to be careful drilling the holes to avoid cracking the plastic. Second, and this will depend on the weather you ride in, cut your current one shorter to get rid of the windblast coming over the top. I know this sounds wrong, but I have a "short" shield on mine. The top of the sheild hits me about neck high. For some reason this reduced the amount of buffeting. I am able to hunker down when I need to for protection. But I live in Texas where a "cold" winter is the low 60's. I don't know how available Lexan or Plexiglas is over there, but they are easy to make. You can also get the plastic in different tints if you want. Push comes to shove, and you can't find the stuff, I could cut and drill a "tall" sheild for ya and send it over .
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Strom, I have two shields for my vetter. One short, for summer riding and one tall for winter. I did cut my tall one down just a bit, so I can look over it, and not through it. The summer shield can be seen in some of the "Reno Ralley" pictures.
        The shields cut easily with a jig saw. What I did was put masking tape on both sides, mark the cut, and use a jig saw. I did it on the fairing, and then sanded the edges to smooth and round them.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys... did a few miles today... and noticed I have to watch the speedo... buffeting is about the same 80-170 kmh.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
          X