Right Hand Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Hand Mirror

The threads for the right side mirror on my 78XS11 are stripped, rather than replacing the whole handle bar unit (includes front brake master cylinder), is there a heli-coil or some other fix for this. I have checked around San Antonio, no one here seems to know of a fix for this. No reversed heli-coils, no reversed tap set (was looking ant JBweld and then tapping it). Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks Again!,
    "DuctTape"

- XS1100E (Project: Has a long way to go)
    - 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800P
    Two Lane Road Riders Association
    Southern Cruisers
    TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Either locate a new master cylinder, or get a 10mm helicoil kit, and buy mirrors for another make of bike that have all right hand thread. I have never heard of left hand heliciols, but I suppose they are out there somewhere.
    There has got to be some place in a town that big that has left hand tap & die sets. Ask around at some machine shops. They could probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

Drill it out larger, mix up JB Weld fill up halfway, make sure the jam nut on mirror is backed off all the way & then put mirror in the hole as deep as possible. Clean up excess then let dry. Now the hardened JB Weld has threads already in it.
      There's always a way, figure it out.
      78XS11E

Comment

I thought about doing that (filling it part of the way with JBWeld, then putting the mirror in) I just wasn't sure if the mirror would ever come back out.
        On the other hand, If I have to replace the whole thing anyway, I might as well do this repair for now, and if/when I need to replace the mirror (assuming it won't come out out), I can replace the whole thing then.
        I appreciate the help!
        Thanks!
        "DuctTape"

Southern Cruisers
        TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

Never did that repair to a mirror but other things i have done have screwed right out. Come to think of it there is a product called liquid steel that I have used also.
          There's always a way, figure it out.
          78XS11E

Comment

Thought I read somewhere that a little dab of vaseline on the threads will help to keep from gluing the threads in permanently....
            Ken Talbot

Comment

You may need a release agent so the repair material doesn't stick to the threads of the mirror. I don't know what to use as a release agent, but what might I consider using would be paste wax. Rub it on the threads, then rub it out, making sure the threads aren't clogged with wax, and the JB Weld or what ever you use to do the repair wont adhere to the threads, and you can remove the mirror if you ever need to.

Comment

I wonder if you could use anti-seize liquid or whatever the opposite of locktite or maybe concrete form release liquid?

Comment

The JB Weld and mirror are in place, I guess I know if it worked after it cures for a day or two.
                  Thanks for all the help!
                  "DuctTape"

Southern Cruisers
                  TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

The mirror is held in place and feels solid, I don't think I will try to remove it any time soon. As long as I can use it, I'm good!
                    Thanks again for all of the help!
                    "DuctTape"

Southern Cruisers
                    TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

Working...
                    X