Re-Install of Counter Shaft & Shift Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Install of Counter Shaft & Shift Forks

I have a dilema I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I'm in the process of doing a frame-off restoration of an XJ with 2nd gear problems. Motor is out of the bike and I'm having trouble with re-installing the counter shaft and shift forks. I have replaced both 2nd and 5th gears with new and attempted to try the Bob Jones (Merriam Cycle) washer switch to the back of 2nd gear to get the gears to contact better. Doesn't seem to want to work. The counter shaft gears won't clear enough by the width of the washer to go back in. So, I put the washer back were it belongs and the counter shaft slipped in. Now the problem. The shift forks came out first so I assume they go back in after the counter shaft is installed. When I originally removed the counter shaft I pushed the forks out of the way and they sort of fell out into the engine and I just fished them out. The question: do the forks go in first (tried that also, not working so far) or do they go in after the counter shaft is installed with a lot of wiggling, force and luck to get them in the right place? What's the trick? Believe me, I've printed, read, re-read and re-re-read all of the posts and 2nd Gear Removal Procedures and it's not too clear, it just says to reverse your steps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quit Forking around!!

Hey MaximRob,

Well, it looks like you MISSED "MY" tech tip on the 1st and 2nd gear repair WALKTHRU, cause the reinstallation process is right there!!! See below:

With all but the 5th gear on the shaft, you slide it back into position meshing the 1st gear shift fork onto the gear, then slide the shift fork shaft partly in to engage the shift fork and to hold it in place in the shift drum slot. Then you may need to use a piece of stiff wire bent at the end to grab the 2nd/middle shift fork and pull it up to align with the shift fork shaft and shift drum. Then slide 5th gear in from outside, pull up the last shift fork, and mesh it with the gear, and the shift drum, again using a wire to grasp the fork to pull it up, then slide the shift fork shaft thru this fork as well, and then out the side of the case, keeping the shaft slots aligned, you may need to rotate the rear wheel/shift drum during this process to get the gears to mesh with the others below the countershaft. I also recommend turning the rear wheel a bit to ensure that the gears will turn in the tranny and that you haven't gotten it wedged/binded up somehow, but that's doubtful, cause it won't/shouldn't go back together if they aren't meshing properly?!
    Take a good look at the shift drum, you will need to make sure you're in 4th gear position. This should get you done!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C. Yep, don't know how I missed your tech tip but it is just what I needed. I will now add this to my expanding library of 2nd gear repair tips.

Comment

Working...
      X