No announcement yet.

Superbike Bar mirror recommendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbike Bar mirror recommendations???

Hey all, took the bike for its first real spin today since I got the superbike bars and new paint on it. Took it out in North Dakotas heat wave (42 degrees high on the farenheit scale) bike ran great suckin in that cold air, cant say the same for my bones though.

Ran 40+ miles one way to one of the larger cities near me to meet my girlfriend and go out for supper with another friend I rode up with. Noticed one big problem though. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my factory mirrors adjusted well enough to be able to see behind me. Either my body was in the way, or the mirrors simply would not let me put them the way I needed them. So you superbike bar owners, show me some mirror recommendations. Im 6'2" and 220lbs, not exactly small so I need something that will stick out far enough to show past my body. I thought about velcro mirrors for the grips, but id like to refrain from that as much as possible.

Got up and walked away from a harley 1200 sportster today, had to laugh as it burned my buddy pretty bad. Could believe how easily the front end comes up on these things once you get the weight off the front (had a jammer on it before the new bars)

Thanks for the help.
    Bauer
    1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
    Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
    1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
    Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

I had the same problem. All I could see was my upper arms.
    I now use long stem mirrors made by Napolean. Generic at most bike shops.

I still have to lean a bit but I can now see behind me.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks Pat, I was hoping you'd chime in.

Wow, that is a nice bike, first chance Ive had to see a full picture.

As for the mirrors, is there a certain size you had to go with to mount to the factory location, I dont know what the diameter is for the threaded end of the mirrors. And roughly what did you pay for them?

Thanks
      Bauer
      1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
      Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
      1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
      Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

Mirrors for Yamahas

All Japanese bikes use 10mm threads on the mirrors. Be aware that all Yamahas have a left hand thread on the right hand mirror.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I have superbike bars and use the universal bar end mirrors. I love them. They look great and can be folded in while parked and out for even better view.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Barends

I had a set on one of my XZ550s and I loved 'em, not practical for Specials' pullbacks though. I used to fold 'em while lane splitting, really narrow.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I really like the way the stock ones look but they're useless as mirrors.
              The most practical mirrors I've had on any vehicle are the ones on the fairing of the E. Located out front, your eyes don't have to veer far from forward to look in them. Also, being so far forward you get a very wide angle of view.

Like Mike said, they all (metric) have the same threads. Just make sure the left one is for Yamaha (reverse thread). They came in a long and short length of stem. These are the longer ones. I actually bought them a few years ago and used them on the E when the fairing was removed. They were $25 each. They do vibrate a bit. I had to run a bead of RTV to stop the glass from rattling
              Last edited by Pat Kelly; 03-10-2006, 01:20 PM.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

.. this is the one that 81xsproject is talking about
                this one does not vibrate too much and you can see better with one of these mirrors than you can with two stock ones. as you can see its very adjustable, with no tools required

Comment

Working...
                X