fork seals/wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seals/wipers

In the process of replacing the fork seals in my '79 xs1100, I damaged the (seal wiper)? My first bike project and I am told Yamaha doesn't make them anymore. What're ya all doing for parts? Is there something I can use instead? Hope there's some minds out there I can pick, cause I'm lost!

Seal Wiper?

Hey Laura,

I think what you are wanting are the Dust Covers!

There are many places and parts available, just have to know where to look. The Links section has lots of locations to find parts. Here's a couple at PartsNMore.com

You need to edit your profile to describe what model you have, Standard or Special, so I included both!

Problem with PNM is you need to order $35.00 minimum amount! Bike Bandit may also have them in their OEM parts, no minimum order, usually $6.00 S&H.
    Happy Shopping!
    T.C.

$18.00US /Pr.

Part#27-1088

FORK DUST BOOTS
    Fits: XS1100 (78-79).Standard

$18.00US /pair

Part#27-1087
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TopCat!
      Thanx so much for your reply. still trying to figure out how to move around in this site.
      I have dust covers. This part is like a cap, or seal washer that fits against the fork seal. The front end of this bike is a special. however everything from the front end back is a standard. I am unsure how this came about. I've been using a Clymers Repair Manual and right off the bat I found a mistake in the book regarding how this "washer or wiper" fits against the fork seal. Comparing to the one I took out and the diagram that Yamaha gave me, it's opposite from the book. I finally ordered a wiper and fork seal from Dennis Kirk, for a standard, along with a seal for a Special, they should arrive this week. Hopefully something will arrive that fits, otherwise I guess I'll find someone to machine a pair for me. My local Yamaha dealer really doesn't want to deal with me because the parts are hard to find and I'm doing the work myself, so no money in it for them. You can bet that when I'm ready for a different ride I won't be going there to find one! Thanx again, I appreciate any help I can get. I'll continue to check out the sites you sent me.

Comment

Hey Laura,

Sorry for the confusion. IT's been several years since I had my Special front forks apart, but I only remember needing to replace the SEAL, the other item was a spacer, and then the metal washer and C'ring! See this OFFICIAL YAMAHA diagram for the 79SF front forks:

Part #4 is the Spacer, #5 is the seal, and #6 is the C-ring. The seal is the only part that I remember actually making contact with the upper fork tube, it has that nice little spring ring that fits on the underside of the seal to make the rubber part fit snugly against the upper tube, and it's the seal that wipes the fork as it slides up and down. The Dust covers provide the first level of wiping on the upper tube. So I'll be interested in hearing what you finally get in parts, and what it takes to get them fixed!?

Most likely your bike was in a front ender wreck, and the PO or the shop found the Special front end parts instead of Standard parts for it. So, your forks have the leading axle design, vs. the axles at the bottom of the lowers?!

DK is kind of pricey, and I'm surprised that you were able to find the OEM parts there. BikeBandit is easier to find parts on cause they have a copy of the Yamaha Parts Fiche on their search system! Good Luck with getting it all together!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C.

Yes, the spacer. It is rubber coated metal. Never having done this before (and who knows how long ago it was last done) it was impossible to get the seal out and the spacer was trashed in the process. It is that part that is no longer made. I was curious if the new seals they have out now make the spacer unnecessary, or if something else could be used in it's place. Also are the wipers that you can order with the seals one and the same as the spacers? I quess many of these questions will be answered when I get the parts in.

So far we've done the brakes, tires, painted, new turn sigs, mirrors....parts are everywhere. I'm scared to pull the steering bearings since everything else has turned out harder than antisipated. Perhaps next winter as the road is calling!

The great thing is, I will know this bike inside and out before I'm through...... And in the end.......a name

It's so cool you can pull up that diagram stuff, Thanx!

Comment

Working...
          X