Gauge cluster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge cluster question

My 81 H has the Gauge Cluster with the Square Speedo and Square Tach w/ fuel guage. I'd like to replace it with a round speedo and tach cluster, as I like the look better. Which years and models have the round clusters, are they interchangable, and do any of the round tachs have the fuel gauge in them?
    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Special

Round gages are on all special models, Specials only have the red eye of push (low fuel level light no gage) don't think those circuts are compatable as the resistance in the pickups would be different. Tach ciriut works the same way but you would have to check the wireing diagram. Speedo is interchangable as it mechanical
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Of Course,

With your possibly bad sender unit, IF you get that Special one, then the SPecial guages would work, but you would only have that evil "Red" eye that stares at you when you get very low on fuel, just about ready to change to Reserve!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm asuming that the special sending unit will bolt up my standard tank the same as the original sending unit. I'll have to decide if I want to sacrifice the full on fuel gauge to get the round look. Hmm... decisions, decisions.
        '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Hi Guys,
          I just finished a Special/Standard changeover mainly for the tank capacity. Your main problem with the sender units is that they're located on opposite sides of the tank for each model. The backing plate is the same shape but the low fuel light sender will be upside down if you put it in a standard tank. Just thought I'd let you know in advance. Ride safe
          Errol
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
          X