Speedometer Drive unit..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Drive unit..........

In the Clymer book it does not mention how to fix or replace the Speedometer drive unit, I have a new speedometer, a new cable, but the speedometer drive unit is my last resolution........easy to do???
    80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
    HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Usually the only problem with the drive unit is the two flat tangs break at the front wheel. The Yamaha part # is 341-25149-00-00 CLUTCH, METER
    If you check this unit, and it's good, verify the front has been assembled properly.
    As always, check the repair manual for details...
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you are going to replace the unit DiverRay mentioned you might as well replace the seal and another part (retainer) on that side:

341-25846-00-00 Retainer, clutch
      93105-45017-00 Oil seal

The part where the speeometer cable attaches, the speedometer drive, has few serviceable parts. However, you can take it off, remove one snap ring and the main gear will slide off its shaft. Lubricate this shaft with a good quality grease and reassemble. Makes the operatin smoother and quieter.

The two-tang piece is part of the front wheel assembly, not the speedo drive. You will need to remove the seal and retainer to remove the tang-plate. Best if you rebuilt with all new parts; they are not expensive.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thank you....... Do I have to remove the wheel??(DUH!!) and if so, in the clymer book it states not to re-use the axle nut cotter pin, replace also??? easy job to do? anything to beware of once I take off the wheel? I do not have a torque wrench yet, so that is my only concern, and the fact I do not have a MC jack!!
        80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
        HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Comment

Forgot to mention I bought a used speedo drive unit on ebay for 5 dollars, must I do these other things in addition? I thought I would replace the one on there and then mess with the damaged one.........are the speedo cables easy to find, I have not looked yet, but the one I bought(used) does not look as nice as the one I had on there.........both of them look kinda yucky by the wheel assembly/ attachment screw on thingy.......mine has an insulated cover half way down the cable, which looks good and protects the cable nicely, except where the screw on thingy is.....also is the thick metal wire inside supposed to just slide out??? I was trying to put on the alternate cable, andthe whole inner wire just slid out on the floor!!! I hope nothing fell out that I missed!!!
          80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
          HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

Yes, the inside cable should be able to slide out. I just purchased two new cables from DennisKirk.com. They are probably still available from Yamaha, and other places.
            You do want to replace the cotter pin, as bending back ond forth will cause it to break. Use a good grease when you put things back together, but not on the cable!! You should only use speedo cable lube on it. Read the manual first if your not sure, as it will tell you what order to do things.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Actually

The speedo cable should have a small ring around the top of the windings to prevent it from slipping out of the sheath should it come undone at the speedo drive. It can be taken out, but only from the top of the cable. The inner part of the sheath, shouldn't come out ofthe lack plastic casing. Something is wrong with the crimps that attach the the sheath conponents together. The cotter pin is just a thin piece of soft metal that prevents a castle nut (the axle nuts are castle nuts) from loosening up on the threads. Do you have a manual? I know they are next to impossible to find, but if you can find an XS11 book get it. 85 % of the information will pertain to the XJ. Have you checked to see if the speedo cables are the same for an XS as for an XJ? They may be.

Comment

Have speedo cable for standard,have drive unit for standard used but good to go.andreas

Comment

Thanks,....... Are the cables new or used for the standard??
                  80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
                  HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

Parts are used.andreas

Comment

Working...
                    X