UPDATE on Bike............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE on Bike............

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I only won 2 parts on the yellow bike on ebay last week, these parts were going up fast towards the end of bidding so I had to back out of some parts, I only won the fairing, and 1 side bag........I drove to the place since it was 3 hours away......The proprietor was kind of a shmuck, as he told me after the fact that the other bag was available also..........but I only brought the cash for the two things I won, and a speedo cable I had money left over for, 200.00 bucks total.......The pieces were very nice, great paint job, and I have already installed them........I now want to rename my bike, "Speed Clown", for the color scheme.....LOL ..
    TWO questions...............It has a nice radio on it, and a wire attachment for the radio coming out of the fairing, with antennae hookup...........where does it attach at????? I could not find a similiar female hookup for it, on the bike to power it up. Can anyone give me the specifics of installation of this power cord???
    Went for a ride after the bike was together, kinda dark out.......and noticed my tachometer had no light in it........everything else lights up, but this, I have another tach, with a good light in it, but how do you take the other bulb out, and replace the bad one??????
    80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
    HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

There should be a red and white wire in the headlight bucket with a female bullet connector. This is power from the ignition, and CAN be used for the radio. The better solution is to run a wire from the Acc. fuse location at the fuse block( the two flat head screws) to the connector at the fairing.
    The light bulbs for the Tach and Speedo can be replaced once you remove the lower covers from the gauges. The easy way is with the fairing off
    Oh well, you wanted to work on it a little more anyway
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks diver ray..... I see my acc fuse block, do I run a similiar female attachment from here to the male attachment, or do I just run one wire with a ground( look I know I am an idiot on these things, but I am trying ) I want to hook it up right and not short everything out like my neighbor did!!!!!! also I am interested in colored bulbs to change the speedometer and tach color, have others tried this!! I think it would be cool to have a red or orange hue to these gauges, like the new bikes have???
      80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
      HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Comment

also I forgot to mention, in the fairing, the PO had a switch built in, that I presume is for turning the radio on and off, and i believe the male wire unit is hooked there, I can see it........I would assume with this, it would have to go to the acc block ,no?
        80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
        HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

I can't even try to think of what the PO may have done with the electrical. The best thing is for you to start fresh. Run the "hot" wire from the ACC to a connector, and then into the fairing through the 9 pin connection. The ground for the radio should be through a lead from the fairing to the frame. If you don't have the extra wire on the connector, just drill a small hole in the back of the fairing, on the bottom, and feed the wire through it, crimp on a round lug connector, and ground it to a mount bolt. Make sure you have a fuse on the hot wire, inside the fairing, just before the radio.
          I would leave the old switch in place, and just not use it for now. If you want to put in some other electrical item that may be turned off and on, you could then try and see if the switch was still good.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

I agree with Ray. Radios have off and on buttons on them, why would you want a switch that does the same thing? What you couls do is run your tail/ brake light through the switch so when the cops are chasing you...... well... never mind.. lol.

I know a guy here in Oklahoma that does quite a bit of night hunting (Illegal) and he has a switch to every light on his truck.... even the clock lights on his radio! Seems like it would be a lot easier to just go to the store and buy a steak, but to each his own!

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I ran a switch to the back-up power on the radio on my E. I did this so the memory function of the radio (clock and channel pre-sets) wouldn't drain the battery if the bike sat for a long time.
              I also ran the power to the wiring harness of the fairing. For an antenna I went to a boat shop and found one that fit inside the fairing. It was an amplified antenna that was "T" shaped and was attached with double-sided tape.
              Last edited by Pat Kelly; 03-08-2006, 01:31 PM.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I believe thats what the switch was for, so he could turn the display off, or to turn it off while he was starting it, it is wired very well, but I am sorry, you guys are being too technical for me, I can't picture what you are saying......with the acc fuse, how do you hook up the wires, and then perhaps run a female from the acc to the male plug???? this male has four prongs and what looks like the antennae plug, 5 total.........This one has an anntenae allready hooked into the fairing. please give it to me in idiotspeak.........
                80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
                HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

ripchord11,
                  We would probably have to see a picture, or a good drawing of the connector. It is hard to try and visualize wires that someone may have done 20 years ago. I would need to how long the wires are from the radio, as that can give me a clue as to the use. The color of the wires also helps.
                  As far as the ACC wire, it should be one RED wire, from the ACC screw to a red wire in the connector. You should have a black wire in the connector, and it should go to the frame, for a ground.
                  BEFORE you try to hook up ANY wire, I would use a DVM ( volt/ ohm meter ) to see if the black wire is connected to the case of the radio. If not, try to find out what wire is, and use it for the ground. You should have a friend who can use a meter help you, as in person is almost the only way to do this.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

I will get back to you, but as far as the acc fuse area, that is located I presume, under the right side cover, does not have any wires coming from it presently, I bought the fairing seperate from the bike, so I do not know how to hook up the power to this acc fuse area......If that is what the acc fuse is for??? The strand of wires connect to a male plug coming out of the left side fairing, and has about 6 inches of wire before the actual plug, I assumed that the bike already had a female plug somewhere on the bike( I was hoping real hard!!) But I want to be able to hook it up correctly, so I don't short the entire bike out!, do you think I should just go to an electronic/ stereo/ bike shop to have them look at it??? Now, this is an actual Vetter radio housing, with a ford cassette player(not very nice looking, would rather have a covered type CD player) but it does have some very nice Infinity"Kappa" Speakers, I could take a picture with a digital camera. but I do not know how to post it here, I could send it through E-mail if you want, but I will have to wait until my wife gets home with her camera
                    -
                    80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
                    HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

If you want to send an email, mine is raym@jps.net. I should be within 200 miles of you in May, as I'll be at Los Alamos for work.
                      We can start with the plugs that are on the wire harness on the fairing. If you pull the headlight, you will see a lot of wires and plugs in there. The headlight wires have a standard plug, and a smaller one on them. One of the plugs from the fairing should also have a standard headlight fitting on it. Some of the other wires will have the round "bullet" connectors that plug into the "spare" power wire. This should be a RED with WHITE STRIPE wire that is not connected at this time. If you use that wire for the radio, it will be powered through the ignition, and turn off and on with the switch.
                      Once you email a picture of the wire harness, I should be able to send it back with the wires "marked" for you. When you take the picture, try to spread the wires out, so I can easily see all the colors and connectors. There should be a maximum of 9 wires.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Short leads on MM

I have to trouble shoot wiring pretty regularly at work.

I've made up bunch of "test leads".

One set (red/black) 6' long, insulated alligator clips both ends and others of varying length w/different types of connectors.

Makes checking wiring much easier not having to hold both ends of MM

mro

Comment

You did not say which fairing you got. OEM Yamaha, Vetter ('bout 4 different models) or Pacifica? Sounds like you got the Yamaha(square headlight/turnsignals) or the Vetter. The male plug is your key to quick and easy wiring. You can run your hot wire from the acc. oulet to one of the unused wires in the harness. There should also be a ground wire made into the harness and inside the left side of the fairing. Your stock headlight has to go (save the parts!!!). Then you have to tie the harness into the wires you pulled out of the old headlight shell. Wires to be connected are: Headlight w/high & low beam, left/right turn signals and front running lights. I can send a OEM wire schematic if you need it. It really is not as hard as I have made it sound. I have been running a full fairing since I got my 11. Love having the radio, recent swap from cassette to CD unit. Do not spend alot on a radio for the fairing, they take a beating and last about 2years.
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Great!! I would like the diagram if possible, Yes it is the stock yamaha Vetter fairing....I know about the CD players, The one on my harley, which even had a locking cover, was inopperable after 5 months from all the New Mexico dust, from the windstorms....webray I might have to wait a day or two because we are having a terrible windstorm today and tomorrow, and it is howling like the dickens out there!!!!30-50 mph winds get dust in everything, even covered with not one but two bike covers!! I will get the picture to you as quick as I can( I work at night, so I am pretty beat by morning) I am off the weekend though , You guys are great, but I am getting lost with just words, as my wife says, I am too visual LOL..............I'm sorry, this is something I have been meaning to ask.....what is SWMBO stand for, I see it, and cannot figure it out..............also What do you mean I have to lose the Headlight??????
                            80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
                            HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

Ripchord11,
                              She Who Must Be Obeyed !! Just don't let her know that
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                              X