No announcement yet.

Vetter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have repaired several cracks in my Vetter fairing with small patches of ABS inside attached with PVC cement. Held for over a year.
    Previously worked on a Yamaha fairing,( strange all the threaded holes holding the shield were SAE 1/4-20 and the captive nuts for the lowers also SAE). I had to heat and shape some ABS patches , clamp them in place, then using a small artist brush ran acetone along the edge of the patch. Don't use too much, turns the ABS soft and takes days to cure. It's still holding up good.

Guy

Comment

I have repaired some cracks in SWMBO's fairing by laying a strip of stainless steel screen over a cracked area, and using a soldering iron to heat the screen until the plastic under it melts and oozes up through the mesh, and it will 'swallow up' the mesh as it cools, and makes a very solid repair.

Comment

Most Xsive idea!!!

John
        strip of stainless steel screen over a cracked area
        On a few models of the equipment I sell have "solution tank" that holds 100 gallons, (over 800 pounds).

Have tried pretty much every thing mentioned here to repair cracks. Nothing has lasted more than a year and most have failed in 6 to 9 months. Vibration and pressure make them leak agin.

But have not tried Johns solution. Probably do the "weld crack" first to seal it and then try Johns idea over that.

Flat out amazing info garnered here

mro

btw
        I might try using a small battery to make SS screen hot and embed into plastic
        Last edited by mro; 03-09-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Also (after reading the acetone post), the person that welded my fairing showed me how to texture the black inner shell of the fairing.
          He soaked a terrycloth towel with acetone and pressed it into the plastic for a minute or two. He did this over a section he had repaired. After 5 minutes his repair disappeared.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I like the stainless steel/heat idea since the saddle bags are subject to alot of stress when I jam a bunch of stuff in there. The ABS "bondo" sounds like the trick to fill what is left of the crack. Lets see now, stainless steel, heat, acetone, PVC cement, enclosed space, maybe I should move this project to the driveway Now, where did I put my bunker gear?!!!
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Not the driveway...do it in a small closet, the effects will be moe intense.

Comment

Working...
              X